1996-10-04 - Re: “Macintosh – the Surveillance System for the Rest of Us

Header Data

From: jim bell <jimbell@pacifier.com>
To: Robert Hettinga <cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: ed7ce3d6edc6657649d2da05d11f68c53966cf59a33ada6564d1e16da1d04681
Message ID: <199610040340.UAA09668@mail.pacifier.com>
Raw Date: Fri, 4 Oct 1996 21:33:39 +0800

Raw message

From: jim bell <jimbell@pacifier.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Oct 1996 21:33:39 +0800
To: Robert Hettinga <cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: "Macintosh -- the Surveillance System for the Rest of Us

At 08:48 PM 10/3/96 -0400, Robert Hettinga wrote:
>At 7:13 pm -0400 10/3/96, Timothy C. May wrote:
>> "Macintosh, the Surveillance System for the Rest of Us."
>>
>> (Why Apple would go along with this, while Microsoft and Netscape are
>> apparently not playing ball, is incomprehensible to me. Apple risks
>> alienating its remaining core user base, who often characterize Microsoft
>> as "the Borg." So, Apple capitulates, while MS does not. I guess the
>> "Macintosh Crypto Forum" didn't do a lot of good, did it?)
>
>Ouch.
>
>My first reaction to the above was to say, "Oh, Yeah??? Well, you're ugly,
>buddy, and your mother dresses you funny, too!" But, I won't upset the
>decorum of so august a forum with such eggregious classlessness. Not here
>on cypherpunks. :-).
>

>If one were to be completely uncharitable in the interpretation of Tim's
>most recent outbreak of vitriol here, it would seem that he's offended that
>he wasn't asked first to be the keynote at MacCrypto, the conference a
>bunch of us had at Apple a month ago, which, I might add, was a
>considerable success.

I know what probably happened. A new high-level manager at Apple picked up
some old dusty videotape off the shelf, labelled "Super Bowl 1984", played
it and said, "Yah know, that guy on the screen was making a hell of a lot of
sense until that trouble-makin' bitch smashed it!"

Jim Bell
jimbell@pacifier.com

Thread