1996-11-13 - Re: Money-making ideas for Igor Chudov

Header Data

From: dlv@bwalk.dm.com (Dr.Dimitri Vulis KOTM)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 43fffea2da40225c4213fdec1a9a09a96b6ff00d748b50484ec26ce787fd7de4
Message ID: <VBaBXD48w165w@bwalk.dm.com>
Reply To: <Pine.LNX.3.95.961112045010.17509B-100000@dhp.com>
UTC Datetime: 1996-11-13 03:27:00 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 12 Nov 1996 19:27:00 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: dlv@bwalk.dm.com (Dr.Dimitri Vulis KOTM)
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 1996 19:27:00 -0800 (PST)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Money-making ideas for Igor Chudov

aga <aga@dhp.com> writes:

> > "Igor 'FUCK MNE HARDER' Chudov @ home" <ichudov@algebra.com> writes:
>
> algebra.com is a suspect domain.

Yes, Dr. Grubor - it's been implicated in Jan Isley's (spit) Usenet vote fraud:

]From: Jan Isley <jan@bagend.atl.ga.us>
  (spit)
]Newsgroups: news.announce.newgroups,news.groups,misc.invest,sci.econ,sci.econ.research,sci.stat.math
]Subject: RESULT: sci.finance.abstracts moderated passes 299:22
]Supersedes: <833766203.25886@uunet.uu.net>
]Date: 16 Jun 1996 20:53:15 -0400
]Sender: tale@uunet.uu.net
  (spit)
]Archive-Name: sci.finance.abstracts
]
]                                RESULT
]         moderated group sci.finance.abstracts passes 299:22
]
]sci.finance.abstracts results - 321 valid votes
]
] Yes  No  | 2/3 >100 | Pass | Group
]---- ---- | --- ---- | ---- | -------------------------------------------
] 299   22 | Yes  Yes |  Yes | sci.finance.abstracts
]   32 invalid votes
][ notes on the voter list:
]
]  31 "suspicious" votes from manifold.algebra.com were invalidated.
]  Most of the acks bounced and no response was recieved after multiple
]  attempts to verify the voters.
]
]Invalid ballots
]-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
]antosha@manifold.algebra.com                                    Anton Prokofiev
]    ! site invalidated
]blin@manifold.algebra.com                                             Bobby Lin
]    ! site invalidated
]brown@manifold.algebra.com                                           Brad Brown
]    ! site invalidated
]doug@manifold.algebra.com                                         Doug Hamilton
]    ! site invalidated
]dyer@manifold.algebra.com                                             Rock Dyer
]    ! site invalidated
]gcooper@manifold.algebra.com                                        Greg Cooper
]    ! site invalidated
]gunboy@manifold.algebra.com                                      Ronald Trecker
]    ! site invalidated
]kjh@manifold.algebra.com                                          Ken J. Hunter
]    ! site invalidated
]lenka@manifold.algebra.com                                        Elena Zaiceva
]    ! site invalidated
]mccaig@manifold.algebra.com                                       Andrew McCaig
]    ! site invalidated
]mel.lunch@manifold.algebra.com                                        Mel Lynch
]    ! site invalidated
]mikeb@manifold.algebra.com                                           Mike Burke
]    ! site invalidated
]mil@manifold.algebra.com                                         Milton Parrott
]    ! site invalidated
]milman@manifold.algebra.com                                        Jerry Milman
]    ! site invalidated
]mjohnson@manifold.algebra.com                                      Mark Johnson
]    ! site invalidated
]mklein@manifold.algebra.com                                        Martin Klein
]    ! site invalidated
]msidorova@manifold.algebra.com                                  Marina Sidorova
]    ! site invalidated
]munze@manifold.algebra.com                                          Martin Unze
]    ! site invalidated
]nastya@manifold.algebra.com                                              Nastya
]    ! site invalidated
]natasha@manifold.algebra.com                                         Natasha K.
]    ! site invalidated
]owen@manifold.algebra.com                                            Larry Owen
]    ! site invalidated
]pizza@manifold.algebra.com                                      Sergey Filippov
]    ! site invalidated
]rcross@manifold.algebra.com                                       Russell Cross
]    ! site invalidated
]rhenderson@manifold.algebra.com                                   Ron Henderson
]    ! site invalidated
]sexguru@manifold.algebra.com                                Anthony Del Vecchio
]    ! site invalidated
]smk@manifold.algebra.com                                        David Shoemaker
]    ! site invalidated
]tar@manifold.algebra.com                                        Mikhail Tarutin
]    ! site invalidated
]tarasik@manifold.algebra.com                                      Taras Leonoff
]    ! site invalidated
]volk@manifold.algebra.com                                        Mikhail Volkov
]    ! site invalidated
]whale@manifold.algebra.com                                      James S. Whaley
]    ! site invalidated
]willis@manifold.algebra.com                                          Tim Willis
]    ! site invalidated

Please consider declaring algebra.com and video-collage.com rogue sites.

> [...]
> > issued of the _Boris Investment Newsletter, published in Tulsa, Oklahoma, b
> > proud holder of a Master's Degree in Financial Engineering from the Moscow
> > State University. I predict that within the next month Adobe stock will go
> >
> > Instead of "Boris", Igor will substitute one of the 8 newsletter names; ins
> > of Adobe, he can use any volatile stock that's as likely to go up as down;
> > the predicted stock price movement will be "up" in the first four newslette
> > and "down" in the other four.
> >
> > One month later the stock in question is either up or down. Without loss of
> > generality, suppose that it's gone down. Aleksej, Boris, Vasilij, and
> > Grigorij's investment advice was wrong, they disappear from the face of the
> > earth, and the former recipients of their newsletters don't get bothered an
> > more. (Or they could be recycled for future scams; or they could be send th
> > remaining 2 issues of worthless advice, as promised.) On the other hand
> > Dmitrij, Elena, Zhenja, and Zoya guessed right, so this time they send out
> > new investment newsletter via the anonymous remailers:
> >
> > "Congratulations! You continue to receive the free investment advice newsle
> > from Zoya in Tulsa, Oklahoma. Last month I correctly predicted that Adobe w
> > have gone down. If you're smart, you've shorted Adobe's stock and made lots
> > money by now. This month I predict that Cisco will go _down as well."
> >
> > Again, Dmitrij and Elena predict that some other volatile stock goes up, wh
> > Zhenja and Zoya predict that it goes down. Suppose D&E are right. Igor leav
> > the Zh.&Z. partitions alone. One month later D&E's subscribers get letter #
> >
> > "Congratulations! You continue to receive the free investment advice newsle
> > from Elena in Tulsa, Oklahoma. Two months ago I predicted that Adobe would
> > down. I hope you sold it short. Last month I predicted that Cisco would go
> > I hope you bought it. This month I predict that Lucent will go _up."
> >
> > One month later one of the two is right, so its recipients get the fourth a
> > final e-mail from an anonymous remailer, this time using a reply block:
> >
> > "I've given you three free stock tips over the last 3 months which probably
> > made you a lot of money. Now that you've seen my track record, you'll want
> > continue receiving my free advice, but the free promotion is over. Please s
> > $20 in untraceable digital cash to this reply block to receive 6 future
> > issues."
> >
> > Quite a few people would risk the $20, but that would be the last they hear
> > from Igor. :-)
> >
> > (Alternatively, he can even e-mail 6 more issues of worthless advice to tho
> > who caughed up the $20, so they can't complain. It would be hard to prosecu
> > Igor without proving that all 8 newsletters were published by the same pers
> > who's been giving contradictory advice to different people.)
> >
> But what Law would you charge him with?
> Unless you could prove his "intent" I see no way that you

The intent is to defraud, but shouldn't absolute free speech protect fraud
and libel?

> > "Credibility is expendable." - John Gilmore
>
> He just says that because he spent his.

That's very true - he has none left whatsoever. What a sorry piece of work.

---

Dr.Dimitri Vulis KOTM