1996-11-22 - RE: Mass-market crypto phones

Header Data

From: “Peter Trei” <trei@process.com>
To: clay.olbon@dynetics.com
Message Hash: 476a68986229d9fed9cfefdc31223716edf01abc67850463cf44eff8f99b1dfe
Message ID: <199611221438.GAA12285@toad.com>
Raw Date: Fri, 22 Nov 1996 06:38:19 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: "Peter Trei" <trei@process.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 1996 06:38:19 -0800 (PST)
To: clay.olbon@dynetics.com
Subject: RE: Mass-market crypto phones

 "Clay Olbon" writes:
> If I'm not mistaken (and I've been known to be from time to time :-), cell
> phones are already encrypted between the phone and cell tower.

He's mistaken, at least for analog cellphones in the US - digital
cellphones (just starting to come in now) may have some form
of protection.

Before a law was passed, it was easy and legal to listen in on
cellphones on most scanners and many ham radio outfits (and
even some UHF TVs). Now it's merely easy.

It's kind of pathetic - I'm sure that the billions lost to cellular fraud
far outweigh the value of crimes that the  LEA groups have been
able  prevent by preserving their ability to illegally eavesdrop on
cell calls without a warrant.

Peter Trei
trei@process.com
(standard disclaimer applies)