1996-11-11 - Re: Pyramid Schemes

Header Data

From: Dave Kinchlea <security@kinch.ark.com>
To: “Dr.Dimitri Vulis KOTM” <dlv@bwalk.dm.com>
Message Hash: 617bbf193416e463f214002b65850abf79d3cdc776b756528f809f6975a6182d
Message ID: <Pine.LNX.3.94.961110211847.1766B-100000@kinch.ark.com>
Reply To: <Nw77wD18w165w@bwalk.dm.com>
UTC Datetime: 1996-11-11 05:25:54 UTC
Raw Date: Sun, 10 Nov 1996 21:25:54 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: Dave Kinchlea <security@kinch.ark.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Nov 1996 21:25:54 -0800 (PST)
To: "Dr.Dimitri Vulis KOTM" <dlv@bwalk.dm.com>
Subject: Re: Pyramid Schemes

On Sun, 10 Nov 1996, Dr.Dimitri Vulis KOTM wrote:

> I think the following would be a worthwhile cypherpunks project: design the
> anonymous infrastructure to allow those who wants to participate in MMF-like
> pyramid schemes on the Internet to do so without bothering anyone.

It seems to me that any such scheme is doomed to failure, unless I
misunderstand what people are talking about here. While I believe that
there really is a `sucker born every minute', and it is that which makes
pyramid schemes work, I don't believe that too many people would jump on
board unless they see real, verifiable names linked with the schemes.
Isn't it just common sense to say that if people are hiding their identity
while offering to `make money fast' then there is something seriously
shady going on? Aren't people *less* likely to join in under such
circumstances?  Sure, it allows such schemes to work in theory but in
practice, how do you get people to join in? Who would/how could you
*trust* such a scheme?

Perhaps I give people too much credit?

cheers, kinch

Thread