1996-11-10 - Re: Pyramid Schemes

Header Data

From: dlv@bwalk.dm.com (Dr.Dimitri Vulis KOTM)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: cbfe9b6c45d12c37a48af4ba8f58202ad55aa1567d4a5cc11477162cdde8b214
Message ID: <Nw77wD18w165w@bwalk.dm.com>
Reply To: <v03007800aeabbd7e613b@[207.167.93.63]>
UTC Datetime: 1996-11-10 22:20:18 UTC
Raw Date: Sun, 10 Nov 1996 14:20:18 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: dlv@bwalk.dm.com (Dr.Dimitri Vulis KOTM)
Date: Sun, 10 Nov 1996 14:20:18 -0800 (PST)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Pyramid Schemes

"Timothy C. May" <tcmay@got.net> writes:
> I deleted the original spam, but from my brief glance at it, it may have
> been more of a multi-level marketing (MLM) scheme than a simple
> pyramid...something about selling mailing list services. And of course MLMs
> are mostly protected, else Amway, Herbalife, Avon, and all the other such
> MLMs would not survive.
>
> But I have a more radical view: pyramid schemes should not be illegal.

Surprisingly, I agree with Timmy on this one. MLM's/pyramid schemes fit
so well into the general American stupidity and the belief in getting
something for nothing.

> (And there are ways that cryptography allows "crypto-pyramids," though I
> doubt many crypto-savvy folks would participate.)

I think the following would be a worthwhile cypherpunks project: design the
anonymous infrastructure to allow those who wants to participate in MMF-like
pyramid schemes on the Internet to do so without bothering anyone.

---

Dr.Dimitri Vulis KOTM