1996-11-18 - Re: HP announcing some International Cryptography stuff on Monday

Header Data

From: C Kuethe <ckuethe@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca>
To: Lucky Green <shamrock@netcom.com>
Message Hash: 63f6bea7477dbccfe974af82d423f2d05e77bab2f2d28f52620844cd31e519d2
Message ID: <Pine.A32.3.93.961117233339.14170A-100000@gpu3.srv.ualberta.ca>
Reply To: <Pine.3.89.9611171813.A12245-0100000@netcom14>
UTC Datetime: 1996-11-18 08:53:34 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 18 Nov 1996 00:53:34 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: C Kuethe <ckuethe@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca>
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 1996 00:53:34 -0800 (PST)
To: Lucky Green <shamrock@netcom.com>
Subject: Re: HP announcing some International Cryptography stuff on Monday

On Sun, 17 Nov 1996, Lucky Green wrote:

> One possibility is that all crypto is done in hardware. The recent
> announcements by many hardware manufacturers that smartcard readers will
> be included in all their products (MS will put them into their keyboards)
> might get the necessary infrastructure deployed.
>
> Of course, no crypto will work without the hardware token. The
> applications use signed code. Hardware tokens are only valid for a
> certain time. Making future mandatory upgrades to Fortezza, etc. a cinch.
>
> --Lucky

Ok... I want everybody to go buy a box of diskettes, and put copies of PGP
on them.  Then we'll save our boxes of PGP for when everything but GAK is
illegal, and the thought police are stealing hard drives.  BTW, I really
like that thermite on the HD thing. A possibly better idea could be
something that eats the platters.... little container of nitric acid.
Anyway.. that's off topic.

If I'm understanding correctly, In the year 2000 (whatever) when we use
crypt(3) it's just a call to the NSAcryptoGAK chip on the board. and
that's supposed to be good enough for everyone.  What's next? A processor
that detects an unGAK'd software crypto program running and phones the NSA
or whoever?

One more thing... what's this about MD5 being broken... references,
webpages, whatever would be nice.

--
Chris Kuethe <ckuethe@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca> LPGV Electronics and Controls
http://www.ualberta.ca/~ckuethe/