1996-11-16 - Re: [REBUTTAL] Censorship on cypherpunks?, from The Netly News

Header Data

From: dlv@bwalk.dm.com (Dr.Dimitri Vulis KOTM)
To: freedom-knights@jetcafe.org
Message Hash: b88ae40d76e698c5f81212835e7eb55a7b51e7fcdf289addca93fdcd4a005c0a
Message ID: <aTuHXD15w165w@bwalk.dm.com>
Reply To: <Pine.LNX.3.95.961116051946.3091I-100000@dhp.com>
UTC Datetime: 1996-11-16 17:22:51 UTC
Raw Date: Sat, 16 Nov 1996 09:22:51 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: dlv@bwalk.dm.com (Dr.Dimitri Vulis KOTM)
Date: Sat, 16 Nov 1996 09:22:51 -0800 (PST)
To: freedom-knights@jetcafe.org
Subject: Re: [REBUTTAL] Censorship on cypherpunks?, from The Netly News

aga <aga@dhp.com> writes:
[quoting some jerk]
> > >     It still isn't censorship. Censorship, at least in my dictionary,
> > >refers to censor, which uses the word "Official" several times. Mr.
> > >Gilmore is not an "Official" in a government sense, he maybe in the EFF
> > >sense, but this is not an "Official" EFF organ, so that doesn't count.

This is bullshit on several counts. First, censorship does not have to be
government-sponsored. Second, John Gilmore's dishonorable actions were
carried out in his official capacity as the list owner. That's how they're
different, e.g., from the dishonorable actions by the lying shyster Jim Ray.

> > Even more important is the fact that Mr. Gilmore did not prevent Mr. Vulis
> > from speaking.  No restraint on speech implies no censorship.  Therefor Mr.
> > Vulis was not censored.  Q.E.D.

This is bullshit. John Gilmore "panalized" me because he didn't like what
I was saying. First he tried to be sneaky about it, then he openly boasted
of his actions.

> > You all are perfectly free to like or not like what Mr. Gilmore did.
> > However, don't call it censorship because it wasn't.
> >

> Yes it WAS!!  He censored the mode and manner of the speaker.
> He censored the personal attacks and the rants and the racial
> diatribes!  And that SUCKS!  Gilmore was a fucking asshole for
> doing it!  And Gilmore is the WORST kind of censor that there
> can be, one who censors a person's "style."

I agree. Moreover John Gilmore pulls plugs in an arbitrary and capricious
manner. He did not pull Timmy May's plug for personal attacks, non-crypto-
related rants, racial diatribes about "crazy Russians", religous attacks
on Mormons, and general ignorance and stupidity.

---

Dr.Dimitri Vulis KOTM