1996-11-19 - Re: Does John Gilmore…

Header Data

From: Black Unicorn <unicorn@schloss.li>
To: Dave Hayes <dave@kachina.jetcafe.org>
Message Hash: cdce1916d8c352b6d2a1d006fae699693a6bb2513c621fe3c36d4f1f88845418
Message ID: <Pine.SUN.3.94.961119050314.6815B-100000@polaris>
Reply To: <199611182130.NAA08518@kachina.jetcafe.org>
UTC Datetime: 1996-11-19 10:08:14 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 19 Nov 1996 02:08:14 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: Black Unicorn <unicorn@schloss.li>
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 1996 02:08:14 -0800 (PST)
To: Dave Hayes <dave@kachina.jetcafe.org>
Subject: Re: Does John Gilmore...

On Mon, 18 Nov 1996, Dave Hayes wrote:

> Date: Mon, 18 Nov 1996 13:30:51 -0800
> From: Dave Hayes <dave@kachina.jetcafe.org>
> To: freedom-knights@jetcafe.org
> Cc: cypherpunks@toad.com
> Subject: Re: Does John Gilmore...
>
> Black Unicorn writes:
> > Dave Hayes writesL:
> > > [For those who's assumptions rule their perception: I am *not* arguing
> > > that all speech should be subsidized. I am merely pointing out that
> > > the organization that is spending the money to broadcast is
> > > controlling the speech, hence it is *not* free speech in terms of
> > > freedom or cost.]
> > Again, you confuse free speech with free broadcast.
>
> Isn't broadcast a subset of speech, especially in this culture?

That which is broadcast is certainly speech.

Trying to draw some kind of "right to be broadcast" as a result is
stupidity or ignorance, or both.

Anyone has the right to, e.g., start a mailing list, or a newsletter.
No one has the right to compell ABC or FOX or John Gilmore or anyone
else to broadcast their speech.  (The rarest exceptions, like equal time
rules, exist in election contexts).

Learn the difference.  Go to law school before you argue free speech
concepts in any detail.  Most importantly, spend more time thinking, less
talking or typing.

--
Forward complaints to : European Association of Envelope Manufactures
Finger for Public Key   Gutenbergstrasse 21;Postfach;CH-3001;Bern

Thread