1996-11-18 - Re: Members of Parliament Problem

Header Data

From: paul@fatmans.demon.co.uk
To: Hal Finney <hal@rain.org>
Message Hash: e7165fbc737b73ce4cdfc7572f5d486f992810f84aac200af8915884733c846c
Message ID: <848332398.56609.0@fatmans.demon.co.uk>
Raw Date: Mon, 18 Nov 1996 09:52:35 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: paul@fatmans.demon.co.uk
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 1996 09:52:35 -0800 (PST)
To: Hal Finney <hal@rain.org>
Subject: Re: Members of Parliament Problem

> I don't quite follow how this would work.  If Trent issues a blind
> signature, then that means (doesn't it?) that he doesn't see what he
> is signing.  So how can he confirm that the message is actually from
> a member of the group when he doesn't see it?

I should have elaborated a little on this.

My idea was that trent should be able to decrypt the message and
verify it was meaninful (at least probably so) by some form of
frequency analysis, as he would be a computer program this would not
be a significant time loss in a system with few users (such as
parliament as suggested with the initial problem)
if the resulting message didn`t have approximate
frequency distributions of letters you would expect in natural
langauge or source code or whatever the message would not be
published as it is probably an invalid key being used thus decrypting
to garbage. A better way to do all this would probably just be to
have Bob sign the message then Trent strip the signature before
signing it himself but I just dashed this off as a quick response
without really thinking it through. A nicer protocol would be one
where the key distribution is easier initially (isn`t this always the
case ;-)) or even a protocol which isn`t arbitrated, like your reply
said Chaum mentions protocols for this.

  Datacomms Technologies web authoring and data security
       Paul Bradley, Paul@fatmans.demon.co.uk
  Paul@crypto.uk.eu.org, Paul@cryptography.uk.eu.org
       Http://www.cryptography.home.ml.org/
      Email for PGP public key, ID: 5BBFAEB1