1996-12-22 - Re: Ebonics

Header Data

From: dlv@bwalk.dm.com (Dr.Dimitri Vulis KOTM)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 063f60200fc6107f46e63e8b41bcdd32610603a2f262b9d967512bdf9248db81
Message ID: <qgoBZD2w165w@bwalk.dm.com>
Reply To: <199612212015.PAA09322@mercury.peganet.com>
UTC Datetime: 1996-12-22 06:02:23 UTC
Raw Date: Sat, 21 Dec 1996 22:02:23 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: dlv@bwalk.dm.com (Dr.Dimitri Vulis KOTM)
Date: Sat, 21 Dec 1996 22:02:23 -0800 (PST)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Ebonics

"Mark Rosen" <mrosen@peganet.com> writes:
> someone if
> > they can't even understand what that person is saying.  Besides, I would
> > suspect that a reasonably intelligent person would know how to speak
> correct
> > English or at least make an attempt to do so.
> 	Especially in the computer field, language is irrelevant; as long as
> someone can "speak" C++ or HTML, they're fine.

You are clearly not in the computer field. Someone who can't document
his or her program, or can't explain something to a colleague, can't do
the job. Communication may be irrelevant to an assembly line workers,
but it sure matters for computer people.

> > Crypto will allow people to actively discriminate against whomever they
> wish.
> > It will also allow those who would be discriminated against to protect
> > information about themselves to prevent discrimination.  I don't support
> > discrimination based on race, but language is a completely different
> matter.
> 	Spoken language, which is what you're discriminating against is vastly
> different from typed language. Everyone types pretty much the same way but
> everyone speaks differently. People who speak in Ebonics or with a Southern
> twang often know the rules of grammar, as expressed in writing, but they do
> not speak "correctly" because they are not accustomed to doing so.

Once again I observe that "cypher punks" and "libertarians" are fucking
statists.

Yes, Timmy May is a racist asshole, but no, the fucking state should not
stop him from discriminating in any way he wants to.

If Timmy doesn't want to hire a good engineer because he doesn't like his
accent, his looks, his smells, his sexual preferences, it's Timmy's right.
Let Timmy punish himself by hiring the second best candidate and paying more.

The free market works. Don't fuck with it.

---

Dr.Dimitri Vulis KOTM