1996-12-22 - Re: Executing Encrypted Code

Header Data

From: Omegaman <omega@bigeasy.com>
To: Peter Hendrickson <ph@netcom.com>
Message Hash: 4b9505da5f1ebc8e0268083ed36c17a2850d390cc9647267ef1fa9001c09b34b
Message ID: <Pine.LNX.3.95.961221232800.1265B-100000@jolietjake.com>
Reply To: <v02140b08aee0befb6cdb@[192.0.2.1]>
UTC Datetime: 1996-12-22 04:31:15 UTC
Raw Date: Sat, 21 Dec 1996 20:31:15 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: Omegaman <omega@bigeasy.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Dec 1996 20:31:15 -0800 (PST)
To: Peter Hendrickson <ph@netcom.com>
Subject: Re: Executing Encrypted Code

On Fri, 20 Dec 1996, Peter Hendrickson wrote:

> (Of course, it is not out of the question that piracy boosts sales by
> advertising the product.  We haven't seen a good experiment for
> determining this.)

There's this little game called "Doom" that was released for free a few
years back.  pay your $$$ and you got to continue the game.  A couple hot
shot programmers in Texas apparently made quite a bit of money off of this.
Of course, the game was top-notch for its time

> Your characterization is accurate.  Ignoring the particulars of this
> scheme, it would certainly be neat if people could sell software
> without it being pirated.

They can.  Models such as the one above and free software provide one
alternative.  Companies make their money on a value added basis and from
corporations willing to pay proper license fees.

Placing the kind of limitations you are envisioning upon hardware would be
ultimately harmful to the growth of an industry which has always relied on
innovation from "amateurs" on the outside of commercial circles.
Furthermore, quality free applications and shareware applications
represent a challenge to commercial firms to produce better software that
customers are willing to pay for.

me
 Omegaman <mailto:omega@bigeasy.com>
  PGP Key fingerprint = 6D 31 C3 00 77 8C D1 C2
                        59 0A 01 E3 AF 81 94 63
 Send e-mail with "get key" in the "Subject:"
 field to get a copy of my public key