1996-12-30 - Re: Export proposal

Header Data

From: sameer <sameer@c2.net>
To: nobody@huge.cajones.com (Huge Cajones Remailer)
Message Hash: 898b11de578943e9ed0d3febb955c0e24b373961d4fdc58dc54d794200852e86
Message ID: <199612300624.WAA01557@gabber.c2.net>
Reply To: <199612300502.VAA08094@mailmasher.com>
UTC Datetime: 1996-12-30 06:03:57 UTC
Raw Date: Sun, 29 Dec 1996 22:03:57 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: sameer <sameer@c2.net>
Date: Sun, 29 Dec 1996 22:03:57 -0800 (PST)
To: nobody@huge.cajones.com (Huge Cajones Remailer)
Subject: Re: Export proposal

> We could some important crypto source code (for example some of the
> IPv6 IPsec stuff being developed domestically), print it, export it
> (legally), scan it, and then distribute it overseas.  If we repeat
> this process enough, it will first cause a lot of useful crypto
> software to be exported legally from the US.

	PGP, Inc. is already exporting their source in this fashion.

> Then, when the govenrment wants to stop this, they will be forced to
> place a prior restraint on publication of printed technical pamphlets,
> which is exactly the restriction they don't want to be stuck
> defending.

	Stewart Baker has been quoted as saying that banned "easily
scanned printed texts" isn't far away. (Rebecca Vesely's Wired News
article)
	"National Security is the root password to the Constitution."
-- I've forgotten who said this.

	We are now just one step away from non-GAK crypto being
illegal in the US.

--
Sameer Parekh					Voice:   510-986-8770
President					FAX:     510-986-8777