1996-12-23 - Re: Ebonics

Header Data

From: dlv@bwalk.dm.com (Dr.Dimitri Vulis KOTM)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: a40522cfb8f5fcf60936109f11dd86b26c82a16f62b1d4104766caa9b105d233
Message ID: <k9HeZD33w165w@bwalk.dm.com>
Reply To: <32BEB23B.20B8@gte.net>
UTC Datetime: 1996-12-23 18:26:38 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 23 Dec 1996 10:26:38 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: dlv@bwalk.dm.com (Dr.Dimitri Vulis KOTM)
Date: Mon, 23 Dec 1996 10:26:38 -0800 (PST)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Ebonics

Dale Thorn <dthorn@gte.net> writes:
> Don't you suppose that when some of the party-line-liberal (brainwashed)
> persons (esp. from the Northeast or the Bay Area) hear a person speaking
> in an authentic Southern "accent", that they often feel a twinge of fear,
> as though someone from the KKK or whatever has just entered their immediate
> surroundings?  I know that sounds kind of silly, but people do have those
> knee-jerk reactions to certain visual and auditory clues, particularly
> when they've been bombarded by big media with all those stereotypical
> images over the years.

Americans in general are extremely xenophobic and react very negatively
to anyone with a "foreign" accent. A few weeks ago I visited rural
Massachussetts. The people there are extremely hostile even to Americans
who don't speak with their particular regional accent.

---

Dr.Dimitri Vulis KOTM