1996-12-06 - Re: Stinger Specs

Header Data

From: Lucky Green <shamrock@netcom.com>
To: azur@netcom.com (Steve Schear)
Message Hash: beabd3693e6de1ce4afa42e615ddf1971fddd1e6cc13638606df553233ef81ff
Message ID: <3.0.32.19961205212336.006a520c@netcom14.netcom.com>
Raw Date: Thu, 5 Dec 1996 21:23:07 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: Lucky Green <shamrock@netcom.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 1996 21:23:07 -0800 (PST)
To: azur@netcom.com (Steve Schear)
Subject: Re: Stinger Specs

At 07:08 PM 12/5/96 -0800, Steve Schear wrote:
>This has all vanished is our zeal
>to protect youth and society from any activity which might lead injury or
>misuse.  I can't even find a place to buy a niece a real chemistry set as
>tort laws have forced them from the market.  When considering the plumeting
>interest and achievement of our youth in math and science we look nor
>further for a reason.

When Wernher von Braun (if the reader doesn't know who von Braun was, shame
on your teachers. Hint: first human on the Moon.) first became interested
in rocketry, he was a student of music. Classical piano, to be exact. He
got his hands on a book about using rockets for space exploration. To his
dismay, the book was full of mathematical equations. He went to his math
teacher, asking him for help with the equations. The teacher must have been
of help, since von Braun went on to become the single most knowledgable
person in his field. And no, it wasn't piano playing.

There is nothing like some real life challenges to spark a young person's
mind. Today, conducting the experiments that fueled von Braun's imagination
would be a felony. The mere posession of the chemicals he used in his early
twenties is illegal.

This country has set out on a project to dumb the minds of its young. With
great success.

-- Lucky Green <mailto:shamrock@netcom.com> PGP encrypted mail preferred
   Make your mark in the history of mathematics. Use the spare cycles of
   your PC/PPC/UNIX box to help find a new prime.
   http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/justforfun/prime.htm

Thread