1996-12-12 - Re: Redlining

Header Data

From: Dale Thorn <dthorn@gte.net>
To: “E. Allen Smith” <EALLENSMITH@ocelot.Rutgers.EDU>
Message Hash: d969d4d0a2d6e701343d46d1a641c69c5936b48606b35ddfcecd95a7fe47ef2a
Message ID: <32B03E27.5EF9@gte.net>
Reply To: <01ICWJ1E2BX2AEL2O3@mbcl.rutgers.edu>
UTC Datetime: 1996-12-12 19:57:28 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 12 Dec 1996 11:57:28 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: Dale Thorn <dthorn@gte.net>
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 1996 11:57:28 -0800 (PST)
To: "E. Allen Smith" <EALLENSMITH@ocelot.Rutgers.EDU>
Subject: Re: Redlining

E. Allen Smith wrote:
> From:   IN%"ichudov@algebra.com" 11-DEC-1996 23:46:57.12
> >I would appreciate if some attorney on this list shed some light on the
> >legal definition of discrimination.

[snip]

> P.S. Please note that we cannot yet tell if the racial differences in
> IQ are environmental or a mixture of environmental and genetic; I
> believe they are purely environmental, but there is about as much
> evidence for this belief as there is for God's existence (something
> I also believe in).

Actually, there is not only good evidence for the environmental argument,
but you can reason it out yourself if you give attention to some things
that don't make it into most discussions on this topic.

Example:  Environment has a profound effect on a person's mind (outlook,
perceptions, attitudes, moods, etc.), and thereby has a significant, if
indirect effect on that person's hormone production (quantity, balance).
Those hormone productions have more effect on the body and brain long-
term than any other influence I can think of.

And believe it or not, in some (perhaps unusual) cases, unexpected
changes in hormone production can happen later in life as well, not
just during the "development" years. And I'm not talking about decreased
production either.

Thread