1996-12-14 - Re: Race and IQ

Header Data

From: ichudov@algebra.com (Igor Chudov @ home)
To: devnull@manifold.algebra.com
Message Hash: f983895bc5c4bb6ec28b09fc1e7d4865e02dadb15939780d5ff1fa5a8adf8743
Message ID: <199612141843.MAA01741@manifold.algebra.com>
Reply To: <o9oXyD185w165w@bwalk.dm.com>
UTC Datetime: 1996-12-14 18:46:42 UTC
Raw Date: Sat, 14 Dec 1996 10:46:42 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: ichudov@algebra.com (Igor Chudov @ home)
Date: Sat, 14 Dec 1996 10:46:42 -0800 (PST)
To: devnull@manifold.algebra.com
Subject: Re: Race and IQ

Dr.Dimitri Vulis KOTM wrote:
> proff@suburbia.net writes:
> > Just as there are differences in physical attributes between races,
> > so to are there are differences in the brain between races, and even
> > for genetic enclaves within races (and sexes which genetically,
> > contain greater differences than between races).  However, it has
> > been my experience that individual differences exceed racial
> > differences making the whole race vs. anything discussion a waste of time.
> > i.e people should be judged as individuals not as members of one
> > race or another, because that is where the most useful discrimination
> > lays.
>
> That's a very good point, Julian, but sometimes the circumstances force us to
> used "appled epistemology" in less than the ideal conditions, or sometimes
> we just make up cutesy hypotheticals, complete with ASCII art:
>
> 1. Suppose that you have to consider two individuals, Al and Bob, and all
> you're allowed to know is that Al is white and Bob is black. You must make a
> bet as to a) which one is smarter, b) which one is physically stronger. You
> can't learn any additional information about them other than the color of their
> skin. How do you bet?

This is an unrealistic problem and a stupid situation.

> 2. Suppose that you're walking in the middle of a deserted street in the
>     TRUCK      middle of the night in an industrial neighborhood. You see a
> S    \ /    S  truck coming from the other side. You also notice that there
> i     S     i  are only two people around, standing on the opposite
> d     t     d  sidewalks. You'll have to pass close to one of the two
> e P1  r  P2 e  people to avoid being hit by the truck. P1 and P2 look the
> w     e     w  same, moderately menacing, are dressed the same, have no
> a     e     a  obivious business standing here in the middle of the night,
> l     t     l  but P1 is white and P2 is black. Are you going to step right
> k    / \    k  or left to yield to the truck? (Disregard the reasonable
>      YOU       assumption that P1 and P2 are working together. :-)

It was my experience that if I go by a scary-looking group of black
people, look into their eyes without fear and say "hi" and go further,
they would never exhibit any sign of aggressiveness. They even get
surprised.

This always worked for me in Russia, whenever I had to pass a group
of mobsters. I think that internal motivation for aggressive people
has something to do with sexual hormones and the need to subdue their
victims, so nothing attracts them more than exhibition of fear. I would
definitely think it is safer to actually go to the right, even if you
assume that P2 has some sinister thoughts.

Then again, personal experiences are not a good replacement for
statistics.

	- Igor.

Thread