1996-12-22 - Re: Slaughter

Header Data

From: Carl Johnson <toto@sk.sympatico.ca>
To: Dale Thorn <dthorn@gte.net>
Message Hash: e9ae83bfc785be593f1b2fd56ff4ffe0791c30f9cbb7efbc4cb4055524c7951d
Message ID: <32BD3731.33D3@sk.sympatico.ca>
Reply To: <aVL0yD28w165w@bwalk.dm.com>
UTC Datetime: 1996-12-22 12:19:48 UTC
Raw Date: Sun, 22 Dec 1996 04:19:48 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: Carl Johnson <toto@sk.sympatico.ca>
Date: Sun, 22 Dec 1996 04:19:48 -0800 (PST)
To: Dale Thorn <dthorn@gte.net>
Subject: Re: Slaughter

Dale Thorn wrote:
> As I remember the quote, it ended something like "and they came for me,
> but there was nobody left to speak up".

Dale,
  Thanks, I love the quote but can't find it or it's source.  Perhaps I can put it
all together in bits and pieces.

>  We just don't believe (naively) that just
> because someone issues code that was designed 20 years ago, and which
> the NSA can undoubtedly crack in a heartbeat, that that code can
> necessarily protect us against all comers.

   I don't thinkI'm very naieve about cryptography.  I fully realize that the same
goons that will crack you over the head for what you've written, will also be
prone to cracking you over the head for 'not' being able to read what you
have written.

> There is a difference between principle and fact.  You have the
> principles exactly correct, but as to facts, you have to be eternally
> vigilant, i.e., don't get too comfortable with PGP et al.

   Thanks for the advice.  PGP serves me very well for most of my correspondences,
but I add a little 'je ne sais quoi' to it for things I consider to be of more
personal import.  It's probably something that experienced crytptographers would
laugh at, but just because I'm not a professional security-alarm designer doesn't
mean I'm going to leave my housekey under the front door mat.
--
Reply to:toto@sk.sympatico.ca
"There's only one two."

Thread