1997-01-15 - Re: Newt’s phone calls

Header Data

From: Clay Olbon II <olbon@ix.netcom.com>
To: Alan Bostick <abostick@netcom.com>
Message Hash: 0fd0fe935cc3a0d4603b5ec9076abc1e75c5a694e634d9c0a0eab1c60ca78f08
Message ID: <1.5.4.16.19970114210400.0b2fe9a6@popd.ix.netcom.com>
Raw Date: Tue, 14 Jan 1997 18:01:59 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: Clay Olbon II <olbon@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 1997 18:01:59 -0800 (PST)
To: Alan Bostick <abostick@netcom.com>
Subject: Re: Newt's phone calls

At 02:48 PM 1/14/97 -0800, you wrote:
>It is also possible that somewhere in the chain of information between
>mom&pop, the media, and us, the distinction between "cordless phone"
>and cellular phone.  I gather it was a conference call that was
>intercepted.  All it takes is one participant using a cordless phone in
>range of one scanner, and the whole conversation is compromised.

The congressman (Boehner? from Ohio) whose cellphone was "eavesdropped"
stated today that he was parked in the lot of a Waffle House in Lake City
FL.  The couple said that they just happened to be driving by when they
overheard and began taping the conversation.

I have a problem with making it illegal to listen to parts of the
electromagnetic spectrum.  Seems sort of unnatural.  Maybe they will decide
that people who can see the color green will go to jail next ;-)
Technological solutions are much more elegant.  Of course, they are not
nearly as sexy as legal remedies (I can't wait to see if the congressman who
gave it to the Times is indicted!)

       Clay

Clay Olbon			    olbon@ix.netcom.com
sys-admin, engineer, programmer, statistitian, etc.

Thread