1997-01-27 - Re: libsln.htm – Is Libel a Crime?

Header Data

From: jim bell <jimbell@pacifier.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com>
Message Hash: 2b1f94d3130a7ac3def0f57ed3718f0b80d6653d2b3ffc58663ef2bb44725b27
Message ID: <199701272252.OAA08289@toad.com>
Raw Date: Mon, 27 Jan 1997 14:52:33 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: jim bell <jimbell@pacifier.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 1997 14:52:33 -0800 (PST)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com>
Subject: Re: libsln.htm -- Is Libel a Crime?

At 01:14 AM 1/27/97 -0600, ichudov@algebra.com wrote:

>I am not sure if you posted this information in response to my request
>to cite a statute that would prove that libel is a crime.
>
>Me> Jim Choate wrote:
>Me> >
>Me> >
>Me> >
>Me> > Are you aware that attributing statements in print to a party when that
>Me> > party did not write them is a crime?
>Me>
>Me> cite the statute
>

>These postings do not prove that libel is a crime. It is because libel
>is not a crime. Libel is a tort, and unlike with crime, the government
>cannot initiate a legal action against someone for libel. Only injured
>(libeled) individuals and not the government can sue in a libel case.

On the contrary, in some jurisdictions libel is indeed a crime. However,
that doesn't mean that prosecutions happen anymore, but the laws are (in
some places) still  on the books.

Jim Bell
jimbell@pacifier.com

Thread