1997-01-18 - Re: Newt’s phone calls

Header Data

From: Rich Graves <rcgraves@disposable.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 31b78e00b075aff1334c804a2b41cde4fcfc23ba38a3bd4447274d6b322b277a
Message ID: <32E02050.735D@disposable.com>
Reply To: <199701172144.PAA02593@manifold.algebra.com>
UTC Datetime: 1997-01-18 01:01:11 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 17 Jan 1997 17:01:11 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: Rich Graves <rcgraves@disposable.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 1997 17:01:11 -0800 (PST)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Newt's phone calls

Igor Chudov @ home wrote:

> I would not be worried about this issue at all. The world at large is
> insecure in very many respects: it is easy to find out credit card
> numbers, overhear conversations, install hidden microphones, hack
> into computers, etc etc. It does not mean that we should stop all
> activity simply because there is "some" risk of losses.

I agree. Security in terms of theft really doesn't concern me most of
the time. If someone steals your credit card or bank number, chances are
you'll get everything back without too much trouble (exceptional
"identity theft" cases notwithstanding). My life is structured such that
even if someone stole my car and burned down my house, I'd hardly mind.
I've got friends to stay with, I can bike to work, and I've got enough
insurance. Money is just money; I've got an average amount, which is
more than I need.

What does concern me is personal privacy. I don't want people tracking
my movements or purchasing patterns, so I prefer to use cash or
pseudonymous debit cards.

-rich

Thread