1997-01-17 - Re: Newt’s phone calls

Header Data

From: ichudov@algebra.com (Igor Chudov @ home)
To: roach_s@alph.swosu.edu (Sean Roach)
Message Hash: 5eafcbb648a2722c570d004b038e3833cb0c58f56c67f0aa160bc679f0a87f0f
Message ID: <199701172144.PAA02593@manifold.algebra.com>
Reply To: <199701171921.LAA18808@toad.com>
UTC Datetime: 1997-01-17 21:50:55 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 17 Jan 1997 13:50:55 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: ichudov@algebra.com (Igor Chudov @ home)
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 1997 13:50:55 -0800 (PST)
To: roach_s@alph.swosu.edu (Sean Roach)
Subject: Re: Newt's phone calls

Sean Roach wrote:
> I had to tell my sister not to use the cordless phone to use the automated
> banking services that our bank has available on grounds that transfers are
> also available through the same service.

It is my understanding that an ordinary banking consumer that
uses "pay bills by phone" service cannot transfer $$ to any arbitrary
account. There is a limited list of permitted accounts, such as utility
companies. Therefore, the risk of unauthorized transfer is very
limited.

I would not be worried about this issue at all. The world at large is
insecure in very many respects: it is easy to find out credit card
numbers, overhear conversations, install hidden microphones, hack
into computers, etc etc. It does not mean that we should stop all
activity simply because there is "some" risk of losses.

> Our father is a math teacher, computer hobbyists since 1979.  Both of my
> parents have college educations.  My sister pegged the scales on the state
> distributed proficiency tests.  Yet she knows practically nothing outside of
> her field.  I will probably have to show her the values of cryptography
> before she actually has any patient records to deal with, (she's a pharmacy
> major.)

	- Igor.

Thread