1997-01-30 - Re: Sovreign Right of Lawful Access

Header Data

From: jim bell <jimbell@pacifier.com>
To: Mike McNally <nowhere@erewhon.org>
Message Hash: 9da150f2ffa35f3b1494c2bd64bf416bcd1d4df3c7685ba494f25e5330209c9f
Message ID: <199701300710.XAA25411@toad.com>
Raw Date: Wed, 29 Jan 1997 23:10:39 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: jim bell <jimbell@pacifier.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 1997 23:10:39 -0800 (PST)
To: Mike McNally <nowhere@erewhon.org>
Subject: Re: Sovreign Right of Lawful Access

At 10:11 PM 1/28/97 -0600, Mike McNally wrote:
>Somebody wrote:
>>
>> This morning at the RSA keynote, David Aaron, the US Crypto
>> ambassador quoted the "Sovreign Right of Lawful Access" as
>> something that goverments were determined to preserve.
>
>Speaking as a private indiwidual, and not as a drone in the employ
>of IBM (don't get me started on the "but wait, key recovery *isn't*
>the same as key escrow" hoo-ha), that dude scared the piss out of
>me.

I think that terminology is odd. They're getting desperate.  "Soverign Right
of Lawful Access" doesn't state HOW DIFFICULT that "access" is to be.
Interpreted broadly, that would outlaw any encryption even if it only
impeded that access a tiny bit!

Or under an alternative interpretation, the mere fact that it is
hypothetically possible to decrypt a message means that nothing (other than
mathematical improbability) stands in the way of doing the decrypt.

Also, it didn't say SECRET ACCESS, although experience tells us that they
(the thugs) probably assume this.  I've long pointed out that ordinary
search warrants require informing people who are being searched, even if
they're not home and assuming the thugs didn't trash the place the way they
frequently like to.

I see no reason to believe that the advent of telephone technology in the
late 1800's should have retroactively re-written the US Constitution to make
secret searches okay.  Technically, the Bill of Rights prohibits
"unreasonable searches and siezures," and doesn't specifically mention the
secrecy issue, but since (am I correct in this, Real Lawyers <tm>?) the
practice up until that time required people searched to be informed of
searches, a change in policy that wiretaps could be secret sounds more like
taking advantage of a technological windfall, not "discovering" that the
Constitution allowed something that had always before been prohibited.

Jim Bell
jimbell@pacifier.com

Thread