1997-01-30 - Re: uae_1.html

Header Data

From: jim bell <jimbell@pacifier.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: c968948eb8bbc2131e2f93cca30bbefeea4ceb79e2743a37aff0aabf17906e9e
Message ID: <199701301948.LAA18794@mail.pacifier.com>
Raw Date: Thu, 30 Jan 1997 11:48:34 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: jim bell <jimbell@pacifier.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 1997 11:48:34 -0800 (PST)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: uae_1.html

At 03:26 AM 1/28/97 -0500, Lynx_User@linux.nycmetro.com wrote:
>                             Reuters New Media
>   Monday January 27 9:50 AM EST
>
>UAE Launches Service To Censor Internet
[deleted]
>   The proxy server will be pre-fed with Internet addresses where access
>   is blocked off, industry sources said. But the server will be unable
>   to block access if addresses of prohibited sites are changed, as
>   frequently happens.
>
>   Etisalat says it will disconnect any customer who abused its Internet
>   services and violated "order and clear laws."
>
>   "Singapore has succeeded to a great extent in its drive to control
>   harm done by the Internet," said another Etisalat official. "Why
>   cannot we?"

I wonder what these people will think when organizations like Teledesic and
Iridium start operating (low-earth-orbit satellites) to allow
totally-wireless connectivity.  It seems to me that there will be a market
for services that allow anonymous browsing, perhaps with encrypted requests
that return otherwise-unidentified data on a publicly-accessible airwaves.

Jim Bell
jimbell@pacifier.com

Thread