1997-01-13 - Re: IMDMP: SOURCE CODE RELEASE ANNOUNCEMENT

Header Data

From: paul@fatmans.demon.co.uk
To: DataETRsch@aol.com
Message Hash: e45cf786c2321e639bfdad1ae98baf5e6110ac06b5bfca039ccfbcfc29ae16bd
Message ID: <853170077.1023898.0@fatmans.demon.co.uk>
Raw Date: Mon, 13 Jan 1997 08:17:11 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: paul@fatmans.demon.co.uk
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 1997 08:17:11 -0800 (PST)
To: DataETRsch@aol.com
Subject: Re: IMDMP: SOURCE CODE RELEASE ANNOUNCEMENT

> Comment: "What do you mean by 'extensive research'."
> Reply: Benchmark tests. Source code comparisons. Documentations of other
> algorithms. "Applied Cryptography".

So you have read applied cryptography and decided that qualifies you
as a cryptographer?

> Comment: "I've never even heard of IMDMP before. Is this a joke?"
> Reply: UDCM (IMDMP) came out January 1st, 1997. How do you think successful
> companies start anyway, with millions of dollars upfront? DataET Research is
> a relatively new company.

No new company should be dabbling with new algorithms, an assurance
of a high probability of security comes with years of attempted
cryptanalysis.

> Comment: "What kind of industry standard is IMDMP above?"
> Reply: 128-bit encryption. Average DES is 128. PGP tops 1024. IDEA goes at
> 128. RSA the same. Full security IMDMP is 2048-bit. Any other questions?

This is irrelevant rubbish, if there is a cryptanalytic attack on
your algorithm a brute force attack becomes unecessary and key size is
not of consequence.

  Datacomms Technologies web authoring and data security
       Paul Bradley, Paul@fatmans.demon.co.uk
  Paul@crypto.uk.eu.org, Paul@cryptography.uk.eu.org
       Http://www.cryptography.home.ml.org/
      Email for PGP public key, ID: 5BBFAEB1