1997-02-14 - Re: Recommendation: Creation of “alt.cypherpunks”

Header Data

From: ichudov@algebra.com (Igor Chudov @ home)
To: paul@fatmans.demon.co.uk
Message Hash: 0c55af39f9ff6aa8e77030f101b18e60e81f9c14c9cdb15682b6b9b57f063b57
Message ID: <199702141604.KAA32699@manifold.algebra.com>
Reply To: <855916839.1020920.0@fatmans.demon.co.uk>
UTC Datetime: 1997-02-14 16:11:37 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 14 Feb 1997 08:11:37 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: ichudov@algebra.com (Igor Chudov @ home)
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 1997 08:11:37 -0800 (PST)
To: paul@fatmans.demon.co.uk
Subject: Re: Recommendation: Creation of "alt.cypherpunks"

paul@fatmans.demon.co.uk wrote:
> > > It is too late to stop alt.cypherpunks, but if I had to make a
> > > prediction again, I would predict that soon posters will BEG to help
> > > them create comp.*.cypherpunks, because of spam and alt.flamage.
> >
> > Timmy has a valid point: the reason why a comp.* newsgroup might have less
> > cross-posted and "off-topic" crap is because net.cops would be more
> > likely to complain to posters' sysadmins. Having a charter state that
> > cypherpunks have technical means to ignore traffic they don't like,
> > and don't need anyone forging cancels or complaining to sysadmins
> > or otherwise getting silenced, is a good idea.
>
> I don`t believe for one moment that, however well intentioned such a
> move would be, it would work. The most notorious net.cops who
> thoroughly deserve the (spit) after their name would take little
> notice of such a charter and take it upon themselved to "act in the
> best interests of the usenet community"

That is not necessarily true.

I asked Chris Lewis to not cancel any articles in
soc.culture.russian.moderated (of which I am one of moderators) and it
did not cause any problem. I was very pleased by his reaction.

	- Igor.

Thread