1997-02-23 - Re: Dark Times Ahead

Header Data

From: jim bell <jimbell@pacifier.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 24de2b687da7549474dbb8c6e109c80f1be2293f8580bb73fbd32e8dd25aa559
Message ID: <199702232248.OAA22931@mail.pacifier.com>
Raw Date: Sun, 23 Feb 1997 14:48:43 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: jim bell <jimbell@pacifier.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 1997 14:48:43 -0800 (PST)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Dark Times Ahead

At 11:38 PM 2/22/97 -0800, Mike Duvos wrote:
>Timothy C. May writes:
>
>> Oh? And will the First Amendment then be repealed?
>
>> "Congress shall make no law respecting the establishment of speech or
>> prohibiting the free exercise thereof" seems rather clear: Congress cannot
>> insist that a particular form of speech be used to the exclusion of others.
>
>> A ban on coding messages, speaking in languages unintelligible to
>> wiretappers, etc., would quite clearly be thrown out on First Amendment
>> grounds, from everything I know of the Supreme Court and its reasoning.
>
>The Supremes can bypass the First Ammendment anytime they choose by simply
>mumbling something about "society's overwhelming interest in protecting
>itself."

I'd sure like to know how they figure out what "society" really wants to do!
 In April of 1993, which the original Clipper chip/system was proposed, not
all that many people had even heard of the Internet, and far fewer were
aware of the details of encryption.  Surely they didn't mean to suggest that
"society" was in favor of Clipper?  Blissfully ignorant, perhaps, but not in
favor!  (B^)

Obviously, with their "If you only knew what we know" they'll claim that the
public would have favored Clipper if it knew the real problems, but the way
I see it, if they REALLY believed that there was a serious threat to
anything other than merely their jobs, they would have done a better job
convincing the public.

Jim Bell
jimbell@pacifier.com

Thread