1997-02-11 - RE: Fighting the cybercensor

Header Data

From: jim bell <jimbell@pacifier.com>
To: Sean Roach <cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: bdc0f0e6296ee36e185343376c36c0e177ce69f9a7aa3324d59c8b1ef5699ffa
Message ID: <199702111427.GAA19997@toad.com>
Raw Date: Tue, 11 Feb 1997 06:27:23 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: jim bell <jimbell@pacifier.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 1997 06:27:23 -0800 (PST)
To: Sean Roach <cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: RE: Fighting the cybercensor

At 09:44 PM 2/5/97 -0800, Sean Roach wrote:
>This time I have opted for a point by point.
>At 07:59 PM 2/5/97 -0800, jim bell wrote:

>>1.  Large numbers of potentially competent and useful people get put into
>>useless jobs:  "Army, Navy, and Marines, and Air Force" spring to mind.
>>(Those people who still think military spending is really necessary
>>obviously haven't read AP.)
>This point I can not argue with, at least not directly.  I do believe that
>the military way is wasteful of resources.

Notice, however, that "pre-AP-theory," there was never any "good" way to
theorize getting rid of the military:  It always appeared that OUR military
was needed to protect us against THEIR military.  AP fixes that problem.

> However, this is one area that
>has actually benefitted the lower-income bracket in that it gives them
>"inexpensive" (off-chance of death) access to good training.

"War is good business...Invest your son!"

There's no doubt that militaries look like a good deal to at least some
fraction of the population.  However, as is usually true, the amount of
money that could be saved if we didn't have to buy military junk would do
just as well applied to other products or services.

>>2.  Large amounts of money are spent on military hardware, money which goes
>>to fund  people who would otherwise develop useful products in the
>>non-government private sector.
>Three things that promote technological growth, expansion, war, threat of war.
>As for expansion. we really have no where else to go.  As for war and threat
>of war, the computer was invented during a war, atomic energy was harnessed
>during war, the internet was created during threat of war.  Many
>advancements, though not all, come to benefit society later.  For that
>matter, steel was probably invented during a war as well, but I can't prove
it.

I think that's a somewhat distorted way to look at it.  War drastically
changes the economics associated with technical developments:  In WWII,
millions of dollars became available for development of computers due to
their ability to decrypt codes.  It is by no means surprising that suddenly
making it 10x more affordable to buy computers (not by reducing their costs,
but by raising the amount of money provided) would make computers appear to
be the product of war.

You may recall estimates (which are frequently re-quoted, BTW)that proposed
that there would only be a market for (say) 5-10 computers in the world.
That estimate is frequently cited as an example of how wrong they were, but
in reality that estimate assumed pricing based on then-current costs, and
they were probably accurate!  It is the _subsequent_ development of
transistors which made those original estimates "wrong."

Nuclear power, similarly, was born in a flood of money for the same war.
Expensive government installations, such as Los Alamos, NM, Hanford
Washington, and Oak Ridge Tennessee were built for that purpose. Activities
which would have been highly uneconomical during peacetime were suddenly
worth doing.

If war makes technical development happen, it is only because of how
supremely wasteful it is.  Useful things still get done, but they get done
in a highly uneconomical fashion and _before_ they would normally be done in
a non-war world.

Jim Bell
jimbell@pacifier.com

Thread