1997-03-21 - Re: Spam from DM.NET

Header Data

From: nic <sf-nic@dm.net>
To: toto@sk.sympatico.ca
Message Hash: c095bd726e541efbba4fb26a3cc95e8493e800ce4e8403ab819a97889369eee4
Message ID: <333203DE.26B5@dm.net>
Reply To: <R76V4D30w165w@bwalk.dm.com>
UTC Datetime: 1997-03-21 03:46:05 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 20 Mar 1997 19:46:05 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: nic <sf-nic@dm.net>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 1997 19:46:05 -0800 (PST)
To: toto@sk.sympatico.ca
Subject: Re: Spam from DM.NET

First off, please let me apologize for this un-intentional "spam."

(I'll spare you guys the irrelevant argument about whether one letter
constitutes "spam."  The bottom line is it shouldn't have happened, it's
not your fault or responsibility, and you shouldn't have to wade through
_my_ shit over piddling crap like definitions.)

The letter in question was specifically addressed to an address at
msn.com, and I honestly have no idea how it ended up being routed to
dm.com, much less a specific individual's mailbox.  Unless Jim
RoadRunner mis-addressed a reply back to dm.net.  But even there, I'm at
a loss to know how it ended up in Dr. Dimitri's mailbox.  In any case,
it shouldn't have landed there at all.

Btw., thanks Toto for passing this back to me.  It does give us a chance
to change the access password.  And to try to figure out what screwed up
where to make sure it doesn't happen again.

Toto wrote:

> Dr.Dimitri Vulis KOTM wrote:
> >
> > Who the fuck is "dueling modems"?  Why am I getting this shit at my
> > site? This is dm.com, not dm.net.  What a bunch of fucking morons.
> >
> > "Jim RoadRunner" <Wild_Mouse@msn.com> writes:

Dimitri - To you I specifically apologize for the inadvertant arrival of
this email in your box.  It was completely un-intentional and, as you
point out, uncalled-for.  Dueling Modems (dm.net) is most definitely NOT
D&M Consulting (dm.com), or any sub-domain housed under their umbrella.
We're a small online service that Jim has recently joined, and
apparently a confirmation letter or reply was mistakenly routed to you.

> Dimitri,
>   It's simple enough. The man is generous and wants others to
> be able to use his account, free of charge.
>   He also wants us to pretend that we are him, asking his ISP to
> 'confirm' the credit card number he gave them, to make sure it's
> the right one.

Well, not exactly...  <g>

>   When you find out more about the "Electronic Funds Transfer
> information" they mention, could you forward it to the list so
> that this fellow's generosity will not go unappreciated?

Actually, any EFT information you might pick up would only serve you in
depositing money _into_ Jim's account.

> --
> Toto
> "The Xenix Chainsaw Massacre"
> http://bureau42.base.org/public/xenix/xenbody.html

Nice story on the web page, btw.

Again, apologies to all and thanks for being gentle about letting us
know about the screw-up.

nic

Thread