1997-03-28 - Re: Microsoft ammunition

Header Data

From: ichudov@algebra.com (Igor Chudov @ home)
To: toto@sk.sympatico.ca
Message Hash: fbb8044019566961b98592429c86beeae3879007b3c50dd0673d9861bbc3833f
Message ID: <199703280014.SAA01221@manifold.algebra.com>
Reply To: <333AF0A6.6C81@sk.sympatico.ca>
UTC Datetime: 1997-03-28 00:21:29 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 27 Mar 1997 16:21:29 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: ichudov@algebra.com (Igor Chudov @ home)
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 1997 16:21:29 -0800 (PST)
To: toto@sk.sympatico.ca
Subject: Re: Microsoft ammunition

Great news, Toto.

The wisest people are already avoiding MS products and are using free
software like Linux to its fullest capacity.

Cc-ed to Bill Gates.

igor

Toto wrote:

> >From Infoworld:
>
> March 24, 1997
>
>             Coda dependency may contribute to the fall of the
>             great Gates empire
>
>             Last week's column demonstrated that Microsoft is
>             unable to respond to the network computer in its
>             usual "co-opt the technology" manner -- a fact
>             that may signal the turning point in the company's
>             history. (Why am I leaving Intel out of this
>             prediction, you ask? Because it is in a far more
>             flexible position than Microsoft. Its chips can
>             run anything. Microsoft needs them to run
>             Windows.)
>
>             Add to this NC threat the mounting troubles for
>             Microsoft, and it's no wonder there's no joy in
>             Redmond tonight.
>
>             Look at the trends. According to International
>             Data Corp., Microsoft SQL Server for Windows NT
>             has been losing significant market share for two
>             years to competing products that run on multiple
>             platforms. Microsoft's Wolfpack clustering
>             technology is turning out to be a Chihuahuapack.
>             (See "Toothless Wolfpack," March 17.) Seemingly
>             endless rapid-fire announcements by ISVs to
>             support standards such as Java, JDBC, LDAP, IMAP4,
>             and CORBA are shoving Microsoft's TAPI, MAPI,
>             ISAPI, "SLAP-HAPI," and a host of other
>             Microsoft-centric specifications right out of the
>             limelight.
>
>             By now you have undoubtedly heard more than you
>             want to hear about the fellow in Germany who
>             demonstrated that a malicious ActiveX control can
>             secretly empty your bank account. Leaks, bugs, and
>             hastily cobbled service packs have been drawing
>             attention to the immaturity of Windows NT. And,
>             most recently, college kids have found more holes
>             in Internet Explorer than it takes to fill the
>             Albert Hall. (My apologies to those outside the
>             Beatles generation who don't get the reference.)
>
>             Meanwhile, Microsoft has crushed or alienated
>             practically every potential partner that might
>             otherwise have helped it out of its current fix.
>
>             Network hanky panky
>
>             This latest Microsoft Internet Explorer security
>             dustup really isn't a bug, it's a feature.
>             Internet Explorer was built to make it easy to
>             launch a file, whether that file is on your hard
>             drive or sitting on a server somewhere in
>             Freedonia. Unfortunately, it took someone outside
>             Microsoft to realize last August that the file one
>             launches from Explorer could be a Word for Windows
>             document packing a malevolent macro.
>
>             Then, in the past few weeks, .URL, .LNK, and .ISP
>             files were added to the danger list. Then it
>             surfaced that Microsoft's Common Internet File
>             System opens the door to network hanky panky. This
>             is clearly a company that isn't used to thinking
>             outside of the universe of the local LAN. The
>             Microsoft patches configure Explorer to ask your
>             permission before launching a potentially
>             dangerous file type (similar to Netscape
>             Navigator). OK, but this solution makes it
>             virtually impossible for Microsoft or anyone else
> [...]

	- Igor.

Thread