1997-05-05 - Re: Rape, death and XS4ALL

Header Data

From: ichudov@algebra.com (Igor Chudov @ home)
To: paul@fatmans.demon.co.uk (Paul Bradley)
Message Hash: 4092399a6b1dbe251bd4d9c7293826f4aff48fcae8d2fb68c5735915cdf2e594
Message ID: <199705052012.PAA14656@manifold.algebra.com>
Reply To: <Pine.LNX.3.91.970505102129.509B-100000@fatmans.demon.co.uk>
UTC Datetime: 1997-05-05 20:35:07 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 6 May 1997 04:35:07 +0800

Raw message

From: ichudov@algebra.com (Igor Chudov @ home)
Date: Tue, 6 May 1997 04:35:07 +0800
To: paul@fatmans.demon.co.uk (Paul Bradley)
Subject: Re: Rape, death and XS4ALL

sounds like high time to get out of that country.

plus, in america programmers get paid a lot better than there.

igor

Paul Bradley wrote:

> > What would be an example of such political dissention?
>
> Well, I`m pretty sure that, having recently been involved in campaigns
> against the ban on handguns, written to a number of people in positions
> of power over the proposed TTP scheme in the DTI white paper etc. my
> firearms licence will not be renewed the next time it comes up for review.
> The powers that be now presumably see me as a loon.
>
> A damning enditement on the British people is that last time I mentioned
> to someone my having written to the home office and others over the
> proposed gun ban I was called a lunatic and told "The sort of person who
> writes to the home office over something like that is the least suitable
> to have a gun".
>
> I can assure you this is not a one-off, this happens every time people who
> don`t shoot find out I do. They have been brainwashed by the
> tabloid press, for example, the daily mail ran a particularly vitriolic
> hate campaign against gun owners singling out Albie Fox, leader of the
> campaign against the ban, and calling him a "Gun obsessed lunatic".
> This, recall, is the same daily mail which rants every day about the
> "evil of drugs" and how the only way to "save society" is to throw
> everyone who doesn`t support their particular brand of bigoted fanaticism
> into jail for the rest of their life.
>
> And of course, one would imagine that those who actually owned guns and
> used them for sport themselves would be the most informed people who
> would realise that the criminal use of guns is at the opposite end of the
> scale to the sporting use allowed in British law. However, I know several
> people who have said "I`m happy to give up my guns if it will save
> lives", to this I simply reply "who were you going to kill?" then walk
> away, these people don`t even deserve correcting as their bullshit is so
> deep.
>
> In addition, when the police revoke or refuse to renew a firearms
> certificate, they do not need to give a reason, so one cannot even prove
> that it was because of speech or opinions they didn`t like that they
> revoked the certificate. Even if you could, it is unlikely a challenge in
> court would succeed, the UK does not have the same free speech guarantees
> as are given in the US and elsewhere, and any court challenge would fail,
> of that I am sure.
>
> Also, to worsen the situation, the labour party has now come to power and
> as I have already explained in a previous post this make matters even worse.

	- Igor.

Thread