1997-05-15 - Re: `careerpunks’

Header Data

From: Eric Murray <ericm@lne.com>
To: adam@homeport.org
Message Hash: 5d85dee10c550be460f80599bcf3b683d670936b07f9d14b537143808d2480d0
Message ID: <199705151628.JAA05763@slack.lne.com>
Reply To: <199705131158.HAA20185@homeport.org>
UTC Datetime: 1997-05-15 16:50:54 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 16 May 1997 00:50:54 +0800

Raw message

From: Eric Murray <ericm@lne.com>
Date: Fri, 16 May 1997 00:50:54 +0800
To: adam@homeport.org
Subject: Re: `careerpunks'

Adam Shostack writes:

> Adam Back wrote:
> > Seems to me many of the `cypherpunks' have become `careerpunks' and
> > are now more interested in trading crypto tips, trade gossip, than in
> > cypherpunks projects.
> >
> > They went through the phase of buying kewl domain names (take a look
> > down the subscriber lists), tinkering with remailers, and have now
> > graduated to making money from crypto consulting, and lost interest in
> > the issues where they don't add to the bottom line.
>
> 	I disagree with your analysis.  I'm working for a number of
> large companies as a consultant.  At each of them, I think I've done
> things that substantially imrpove customer privacy.

Same here.  I've been looking out for privacy problems in the systems
that I help my clients design.  Whenever I find one I have been able to
convince the client to redesign their product to fix it.
I'd never have this much influence as a mere cypherpunk.  But when I
can tell the client what the damage will likely be if their systems
are not sufficiently private, they become very interested in making them so.

Also, working in the field doesn't preclude doing free stuff that
you find an interest in.

> 	Selling your services does not involve selling out.

Yes.  I will not work for a client on a project that I consider
to be 'bad' (i.e. GAK).   I do wonder sometimes what I will do if/when
all crypto systems are GAKware.

--
   Eric Murray  ericm@lne.com         Privacy through technology!
  Network security and encryption consulting.    PGP keyid:E03F65E5

Thread