1997-05-18 - Re: PGP 5.0 beta is out at PGP.com

Header Data

From: Tim May <tcmay@got.net>
To: cypherpunks@algebra.com
Message Hash: eaa90654ddb7cbb61dcde2bceef52c269fc2489ccd5b9e2f22b9761635a72b54
Message ID: <v03007800afa4f5fdcc00@[207.167.93.63]>
Reply To: <199705181020.DAA18483@jefferson.hidden.net>
UTC Datetime: 1997-05-18 17:23:22 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 19 May 1997 01:23:22 +0800

Raw message

From: Tim May <tcmay@got.net>
Date: Mon, 19 May 1997 01:23:22 +0800
To: cypherpunks@algebra.com
Subject: Re: PGP 5.0 beta is out at PGP.com

At 2:20 AM -0800 5/18/97, Anonymous wrote:
>Tim May wrote:
>>
>> More than that, did they decide to release the source code?
>> Last I heard, the answer was "of course not!!!!"
>
>I recently heard from a PGP employee that they plan to release ALL
>source code, including non-crypto code.

I checked the www.pgp.com site and saw no evidence of source code.

Anyway, I decided to go ahead an take a look at PGP 5.0, the Macintosh
version (someone said it was only for Windows/NT, but this appears not to
be so...perhaps by "only" the person meant "no DOS version"?)

Alas, the lookup is too dumb:

"Please accept our apology for any inconvenience, but at this time we
cannot permit a real-time download of the
       product you have requested. The specific problem encountered is:

              InterNIC does not know who `tcmay.got.net' is.

              Sorry. "

I'll have to get it off the Iraqi or Syrian sites.

--Tim May