1997-06-19 - Re: Bob quoted in DowJones Markets magazine

Header Data

From: Tim May <tcmay@got.net>
To: cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Message Hash: 21635008dfad4c35d440918e444f687cfddc6ec9683fabbcdaca4173978b71ed
Message ID: <v03102807afce50136cad@[207.167.93.63]>
Reply To: <v03102800afce41591e9f@[10.0.2.15]>
UTC Datetime: 1997-06-19 03:10:57 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 19 Jun 1997 11:10:57 +0800

Raw message

From: Tim May <tcmay@got.net>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 1997 11:10:57 +0800
To: cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Subject: Re: Bob quoted in DowJones Markets magazine

At 7:20 PM -0700 6/18/97, Robert Hettinga wrote:
>At 9:59 pm -0400 on 6/18/97, Steve Schear wrote:
>

>> "Atoms to Bits: The Future of Money," in the June/July edition of Markets
>> magazine (page 17), appears to have an unattributed quote from our very own
>> Bob Hettinga:
>
>Yeah. the guy who wrote it said that he did attribute it to me, but since I
>was "someone the average Telerate user wouldn't recognise", the copy
>editors killed it.

After this happened to me a while back, I told a later reporter that I
expected any quotes from me would be credited, as they were my words. I
told him I was not releasing my rights to these words, and that I wanted a
written, faxed, or e-mailed contract to this effect.

He said  he had no control over how his editors altered quotes, reworded
them, or deleted credits, so we ended our discussion at this point.

(No, this was not Declan.)

Not that it matters. Face it, our words in print vanish without a trace,
and are remembered by nobody except ourselves.

--Tim May