1997-06-16 - Re: Declan as a Budding Washington Insider

Header Data

From: Paul Bradley <paul@fatmans.demon.co.uk>
To: declan@well.com
Message Hash: f24b1ad9ff77956e8f38034ffb9e1924f70ed462d391fa208b6f724ce3cb1286
Message ID: <Pine.LNX.3.91.970616112023.236B-100000@fatmans.demon.co.uk>
Reply To: <Pine.GSO.3.95.970615232644.25854A-100000@cp.pathfinder.com>
UTC Datetime: 1997-06-16 17:13:08 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 17 Jun 1997 01:13:08 +0800

Raw message

From: Paul Bradley <paul@fatmans.demon.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 1997 01:13:08 +0800
To: declan@well.com
Subject: Re: Declan as a Budding Washington Insider

> I mean, geez, if nothing else, look at what I've been writing. Last
> Thursday I wrote about how the Federal government should get out of the
> business of "protecting privacy." On Friday I wrote about how "protecting
> children" from animated cartoon images is another pretext for
> Net-censorship. Who else is saying that?

I must side with Declan here, true, sometimes Declans articles show a
subtle hint of insiderism <tm>, but I believe that is an inevitable
consequence of working around people in D.C. who don`t want to be
directly associated with certain statements, to quote them against their
will would be journalistic suicide and would soon see Declan with no
contacts whatsoever.

Also, although his articles are often written to be readable by the
uninformed rather than security experts or cryptographers they often
raise important points. Remember, although through Declan and John Young
we have a lot of current news posts coming on to the list the average AOL
account owning newbie won`t know about these things and reading some of
Declans articles might just get them thinking.

        Datacomms Technologies data security
       Paul Bradley, Paul@fatmans.demon.co.uk
  Paul@crypto.uk.eu.org, Paul@cryptography.uk.eu.org
       Http://www.cryptography.home.ml.org/