1997-06-17 - McVeigh Sentence

Header Data

From: nobody@huge.cajones.com (Huge Cajones Remailer)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 31cc3e2b1caa753baf6d1f3e07f3acbcfe3f7c2a04289ac439211f1f5494c6cf
Message ID: <199706170849.BAA28709@fat.doobie.com>
Raw Date: Tue, 17 Jun 1997 17:02:36 +0800

Raw message

From: nobody@huge.cajones.com (Huge Cajones Remailer)
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 1997 17:02:36 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: McVeigh Sentence

  I was watching Dateline NBC interview the McVeigh jurors about the
trial and the interviewer asked them what they found to be the strongest
or most convincing evidence against McVeigh.
  A grandmotherly type answered that the most convincing of the evidence
against him was the pictures of the dead bodies.
  Perhaps the prosecution could have gotten McVeigh convicted on even
more charges if he had shown some pictures of heroin.

  I also watched McVeigh's lawyer give a statement that sounded like it
was prepared for him by the Whitehouse spin doctors.
  From the very first, right through to the end of the trial, I had the
feeling that McVeigh's lawyer seemed to be more of a spokesperson than
a lawyer. I've had lawyers show more skill and ferver in keeping my
dog out of the pound than he showed defending McVeigh.
  I don't know what exactly he was being paid $15 million for, but it
sure as hell wasn't for defending McVeigh. Even when he speaks about
the judge not allowing him to put on a real defense he acts like it's
just a minor matter of no real import.

  The only mystery in the trial was whether McVeigh was part of the
great pretense taking place or if he really thought his lawyer was
working in his best interests. I suspect that he's just naieve.
  I wouldn't place any large bets on MvVeigh living long enough to take
part in an Oklahoma City trial if that ever happens. The political
interests down there want more than just a showcase trial--they want
to find out the real story. Unless they get bought off or blackmailed
the Feds are going to have to bring Jack Ruby out of retirement.

TruthMonger

Thread