1997-06-16 - Re: Impact of Netscape kernel hole

Header Data

From: tzeruch@ceddec.com
To: cypherpunks@Algebra.COM
Message Hash: 3275854eabb4916a369c4524f26681367b21385fb3ad59edd8c72b50b8eb5248
Message ID: <97Jun16.105958edt.32257@brickwall.ceddec.com>
Reply To: <v03102803afc9c0a4fffd@[207.167.93.63]>
UTC Datetime: 1997-06-16 15:14:22 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 16 Jun 1997 23:14:22 +0800

Raw message

From: tzeruch@ceddec.com
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 1997 23:14:22 +0800
To: cypherpunks@Algebra.COM
Subject: Re: Impact of Netscape kernel hole

On Sun, 15 Jun 1997, Tim May wrote:

> I'm about to abandon 3.0 and go back to 2.x. Or look at Explorer. The
> memory footprint went up dramatically (Macintosh version at least), so that
> I can no longer have all my favorite apps open. If I want to check stock
> quotes, I have to quit one of my other Internet apps.
>
> The dancing Java ads are not worth it.
>
> --Tim May

There is a windows console version of Lynx now.  You won't see the dancing
java ads, but will see your quotes.  If you want fancy tables, I have an
awk script which renders them.  A few more stupid AWK tricks (cygnus.com
has most GNU stuff ported), and you can type "getquote msft"  and have the
info without the ads appear.  And if "lynx -source" is too big, I have a
tiny URL to stdout program (which supports user/pass and SSL!).  It is
running now in a timed script that displays the quotes I want to a
virtual console.

Become an iconoclast, and crawl into a shell.

Thread