1997-06-27 - Re: Top ATM maker signs deal with eye-scanning technology firm

Header Data

From: Mac Norton <mnorton@cavern.uark.edu>
To: Paul Bradley <paul@fatmans.demon.co.uk>
Message Hash: 3a47ff845bfa3ba713639e8505259ce3c1e1dcf480e200b3a6e6fff7e3d317f5
Message ID: <Pine.SOL.3.96.970626201239.15341A-100000@cavern.uark.edu>
Reply To: <Pine.LNX.3.91.970626142951.381D-100000@fatmans.demon.co.uk>
UTC Datetime: 1997-06-27 01:21:55 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 27 Jun 1997 09:21:55 +0800

Raw message

From: Mac Norton <mnorton@cavern.uark.edu>
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 1997 09:21:55 +0800
To: Paul Bradley <paul@fatmans.demon.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Top ATM maker signs deal with eye-scanning technology firm

By the same token, the fingerprint system involves hacking off
at least a finger, and more likely both hands--after all, how
do you know I'm telling the truth about which finger it is?:)

Personally, biometric ATMs don't sound like a consumer-friendly
product to me.
MacN

On Thu, 26 Jun 1997, Paul Bradley wrote:

> >    TRENTON, N.J. (June 24, 1997 9:38 p.m. EDT) -- NCR Corp., the world's
> >    top maker of automated teller machines, plans to start offering
> >    machines that identify the user by scanning the eye.
>
> This is not a good idea for ATMs, I have said this many times before:
>
> At present unauthorised use of someones account involves stealing their
> ATM card and PIN, which is insured against if reported soon anyway. If
> biometric ID becomes commonplace theivery of this kind involves either:
>
> 1. Gouging out someones eyeball (would this actually work or would the
> damage done to the eye render it useless?)
>
> Or, more likely:
>
> 2. Kidnapping the account holder and forcing them to ID themselves at
> gunpoint/knifepoint.
>

> I would sure as hell rather have the inconvenience of going home and
> calling the CC company to report a stolen card, than be kidnapped and
> possible harmed for a few $.
>
>         Datacomms Technologies data security
>        Paul Bradley, Paul@fatmans.demon.co.uk
>   Paul@crypto.uk.eu.org, Paul@cryptography.uk.eu.org
>        Http://www.cryptography.home.ml.org/
>       Email for PGP public key, ID: FC76DA85
>      "Don`t forget to mount a scratch monkey"

Thread