1997-06-10 - Re: Untraceable Contract Killings

Header Data

From: nobody@REPLAY.COM (Anonymous)
To: cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Message Hash: 406e8c02e860ccfd46b76c4b00309e86c472a48b6b1f6130a530d63aff0b7002
Message ID: <199706102139.XAA24563@basement.replay.com>
Reply To: <Pine.GSO.3.95.970609112236.19258B-100000@cp.pathfinder.com>
UTC Datetime: 1997-06-10 21:49:26 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 11 Jun 1997 05:49:26 +0800

Raw message

From: nobody@REPLAY.COM (Anonymous)
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 1997 05:49:26 +0800
To: cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Subject: Re: Untraceable Contract Killings

Tim May <tcmay@got.net> wrote:
>At 4:02 AM -0700 6/10/97, Anonymous wrote:
>>Not likely, but for another reason.  Assuming you had the money to take
>>out your neighbor, it's going to be fairly obvious who did it.  (How many
>>neighbors do you have?  Pretty short list of suspects.)
>
>Nonsense. The mechanisms for arranging the hit are untraceable. Thus, it
>hardly matters who the "suspects" are, as nothing is provable. (Assuming no
>implicating ephemera are left lying around on disk drives....)

People do not just go kill their neighbors for no reason; there is going
to be some dispute or history of antagonism between them.  Investigators
almost always start by questioning the usual suspects.

The technology may be perfect, but human error will get you every time.

>By the way, this is not really Bell's "assassination politics," this is
>just anonymous contract killings, known about to some of us since Chaum's
>work was first published...cf. my own "Crypto Anarchist Manifesto," 1988.

We know Bell didn't invent it, but who is really eager to go to the
prosecutors in Washington and tell them "It was all my idea."

Thread