1997-06-02 - Re: May’s Banal Rant

Header Data

From: Paul Bradley <paul@fatmans.demon.co.uk>
To: froomkin@law.miami.edu
Message Hash: 41a7b02649f2b79bb31e92f9fd642b376e69dc31abac98531104647fd4bea8d1
Message ID: <Pine.LNX.3.91.970602140127.228A-100000@fatmans.demon.co.uk>
Reply To: <6333@lawprof.demon.co.uk>
UTC Datetime: 1997-06-02 14:05:56 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 2 Jun 1997 22:05:56 +0800

Raw message

From: Paul Bradley <paul@fatmans.demon.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 1997 22:05:56 +0800
To: froomkin@law.miami.edu
Subject: Re: May's Banal Rant

> I don't understand this.  Of all the alphabet soup privacy groups out
> there, EPIC is the one I consider most pro-privacy and anonymity other
> than the ACLU itself.  And EPIC knows the tech better, on the whole
> (although the ACLU is quite clued-up too).  It is true that EPIC is not
> absolutist on SAFE -- and I'm not quite sure that they are right to give
> even the inch they gave to get a mile -- but they're awfully good.

I agree EPIC has been one of the better groups, but I personally feel
none of them can ever do any good: They all sell out in the name of
compromise.

Also, they seem to have people within them that simply do not understand
what they are talking about, for example, Marc yesterday commented that
he would support a law to ban private companies asking for SSNs for
anything other than tax purposes, this is a clear misunderstanding of the
nature of private companies and private property.

        Datacomms Technologies data security
       Paul Bradley, Paul@fatmans.demon.co.uk
  Paul@crypto.uk.eu.org, Paul@cryptography.uk.eu.org
       Http://www.cryptography.home.ml.org/