1997-06-21 - Re: New Laws in Oregon - “Land of the Legal betatest”

Header Data

From: Ryan Anderson <randerso@ece.eng.wayne.edu>
To: Greg Broiles <gbroiles@netbox.com>
Message Hash: aead1b9721346c1b54c2768885d5e80762595f3e11e10061eaf264846b6d86b2
Message ID: <Pine.GSO.3.95.970620224155.20941B-100000@ece>
Reply To: <3.0.2.32.19970620170015.00950c20@mail.io.com>
UTC Datetime: 1997-06-21 02:53:31 UTC
Raw Date: Sat, 21 Jun 1997 10:53:31 +0800

Raw message

From: Ryan Anderson <randerso@ece.eng.wayne.edu>
Date: Sat, 21 Jun 1997 10:53:31 +0800
To: Greg Broiles <gbroiles@netbox.com>
Subject: Re: New Laws in Oregon - "Land of the Legal betatest"

On Fri, 20 Jun 1997, Greg Broiles wrote:

> I suggest adopting two very popular memes to reach this goal - three
> strikes term limits. A legislator who votes for three different laws which
> are eventually struck down as unconstitutional shall be removed from
> office, and unable to serve in the legislature again for at least 25 years.
>
> Perhaps first offenders can be offered the opportunity to participate in a
> diversion program, whereby they're forced to [re]take classes in
> constitutional law and civics, and if they succesfully complete the program
> and don't reoffend within one year, the first violation will be ignored.

How do you propose to deal with such things as the Telecommunications Act
of 1996 (which incidently included the CDA)?   I can see a problem where
one sentence or clause gets thrown out of a major bill (say a compromise
budget, that someone screwed up one minor ammendment), and if you have
that happen 3 times in 6 years, you've lost 90% of your senators!  I'm not
saying that your idea isn't without merit, just that it's got a few
problems that strike me as somewhat major..

Ryan Anderson - <Pug Majere>     "Who knows, even the horse might sing"
Wayne State University - CULMA   "May you live in interesting times.."
randerso@ece.eng.wayne.edu                        Ohio = VYI of the USA
PGP Fingerprint - 7E 8E C6 54 96 AC D9 57  E4 F8 AE 9C 10 7E 78 C9