1997-06-25 - Re: The Grand Compromise is Coming

Header Data

From: Mac Norton <mnorton@cavern.uark.edu>
To: Tim May <tcmay@got.net>
Message Hash: c8bd910e2faca77334f4401a3278271a9378f8d7fdb16b266ca6c734f8f206ad
Message ID: <Pine.SOL.3.96.970624204553.3935D-100000@cavern.uark.edu>
Reply To: <v0310280bafd607388c55@[207.167.93.63]>
UTC Datetime: 1997-06-25 02:03:28 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 25 Jun 1997 10:03:28 +0800

Raw message

From: Mac Norton <mnorton@cavern.uark.edu>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 1997 10:03:28 +0800
To: Tim May <tcmay@got.net>
Subject: Re: The Grand Compromise is Coming

On Tue, 24 Jun 1997, Tim May wrote:

> (By the way, I have no heard no good counters to my point that the "use of
> crypto in furtherance of a crime" is quite analogous to "freedom of
> religion shall not be abridged, but saying a heathen prayer in furtherance
> of a crime shall subject the heathen to an additional five years of
> imprisonment." This is why I think the "use of a special language or
> whispering in furtherance of a crime" provisions of SAFE will probably be
> struck down by the Supremes, unless they, too, have forgotten what the
> Constitution is all about.)

OK, Tim, I'll try:
The use of communication in furtherance of a crime shall add five years .
. .etc.

The use of any device to enhance the speed of communication in furtherance
of a crime shall . . . etc.

The use of any device to disguise a voice in furtherance of  . . . etc.

The use of any cryptographic means of communication in furtherance . . .

Now, if two and three above are constitutional, why aren't one and four?
MacN

Thread