1997-06-08 - Re: Steak Knife Decryption

Header Data

From: nexus@eskimo.com (Brian Lane)
To: Cyberdog <eric@clever.net>
Message Hash: e16659d246544cbe4a0d1ce9dd3041cc7e19949de1b710430e3119509a74d976
Message ID: <339a38b3.40212914@mail.eskimo.com>
Reply To: <199706070521.WAA11195@netcom11.netcom.com>
UTC Datetime: 1997-06-08 05:00:47 UTC
Raw Date: Sun, 8 Jun 1997 13:00:47 +0800

Raw message

From: nexus@eskimo.com (Brian Lane)
Date: Sun, 8 Jun 1997 13:00:47 +0800
To: Cyberdog <eric@clever.net>
Subject: Re: Steak Knife Decryption

On Sat, 7 Jun 1997 21:42:55 -0400, you wrote:

>>On Fri, 6 Jun 1997, Mike Duvos wrote:
>>
>>> An interesting twist on rubber hose decryption in the case of the
>>> murder of Jonathan Levin, son of the top executive of media
>>> giant Time Warner.
>>>
>>> Police believe his ATM card was stolen, and he was then jabbed
>>> with a steak knife until he revealed the PIN.
>>>

>>A "duress" PIN which cancels the account would be a good addition;
>>similar to the "duress" code on home security systems that appear to
>>disarm the alarm but send a silent alarm to the monitoring station.
>>
>>-r.w.
>
>I would want my account to remain active but instruct the machine to
>dispense marked cash in case I'm outside in the trunk.

  I definitely would not want an emergency PIN to fail to dispense
cash,
unless it dispensed some 00 buckshot. Now that's a thought. Enter the
PIN
number backwards and you get a shotgun blast to the chest.

  A Good Idea(tm) would be to have a reversed PIN number red flag the
ATM and
alert the police (as well as forward the videotape to the proper
authorities).

  A gun would have been a good idea for Levin to own, but probably
would not
have helped him since it was a student that he knew and trusted. He
probably
didn't feel threatened until it was too late for him.

  Also, if the card was one of the Visa Debit cards (or even a real
visa card
for that matter) there are tons of places that it can be used without
entering
a PIN number or submitting to an ID check. Grocery stores and gas
stations are
two examples, although you cannot get cash from anywhere without using
the PIN
number (that I know of).

  Brian

ps. PGP 5.0 seems to have mangled my line ends in the process of
signing this message. Anyone know a cure for this?

Brian C. Lane             http://www.eskimo.com/~nexus                      KC7TYU
------------------  96B9 C123 5C90 BECC  6A1F 7DC6 4F2B A26E  --------------------

Thread