1997-07-30 - Re: Entrust Technologies’s Solo - free download

Header Data

From: “Dr. Jai Maharaj” <jai@mantra.com>
To: freedom-knights@jetcafe.org
Message Hash: 6edcfe04b7186df22a0aa1bb51690ca687c55c7211b347ea6d2cee003655ae27
Message ID: <3.0.2.32.19970730124407.0098f250@caprica.com>
Reply To: <199707302128.RAA10233@mail.storm.ca>
UTC Datetime: 1997-07-30 22:57:57 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 31 Jul 1997 06:57:57 +0800

Raw message

From: "Dr. Jai Maharaj" <jai@mantra.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 1997 06:57:57 +0800
To: freedom-knights@jetcafe.org
Subject: Re: Entrust Technologies's Solo - free download

At 5:28 PM 7/30/97 -0400, Sandy Harris wrote:
> . . . Perhaps more to the point, cancels conserve
> resources on newservers.

That is like saying "by decreasing the human population
by mass murder, our resources are conserved."  Censorship
is not justified by stating that it causes the information
to be reduced so as to lighten the load on a network.

> ...where on this scale do you start to object to my actions:
> 1) I use a killfile to ignore certain messages.
> 2) I program my personal newsserver to discard certain messages.
> 3) A group of us, by consensus, program our common newsserver...

Unanimous consent?

> 4) A system admin, with due notice to users, programs a
> newserver.....

What constitutes "due notice" in the present context?
If an ISP were to advertise "Newsgroups censored through
forgery", then that would be "due notice".

> 5) A group of admins agree to jointly program their newsservers
> so that some of them can cause all systems to discard messages.

Given the proposed "due notice" above, ISPs with such
administrators are not likely to attract many customers.

Jai Maharaj
jai@mantra.com
Om Shanti

Thread