1997-08-01 - Re: forged cancels (Re: Entrust Technologies’s Solo - free download)

Header Data

From: Bill Stewart <stewarts@ix.netcom.com>
To: Ryan Anderson <randerso@ece.eng.wayne.edu>
Message Hash: 353d6cee62380a2fa5cd6ff930dd2940431a2a0a0b4fe43e6f5a285766294e38
Message ID: <3.0.2.32.19970731102244.006f3430@popd.ix.netcom.com>
Reply To: <199707310103.CAA27631@server.test.net>
UTC Datetime: 1997-08-01 07:46:40 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 1 Aug 1997 15:46:40 +0800

Raw message

From: Bill Stewart <stewarts@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 1997 15:46:40 +0800
To: Ryan Anderson <randerso@ece.eng.wayne.edu>
Subject: Re: forged cancels (Re: Entrust Technologies's Solo - free  download)

At 10:36 PM 7/30/97 -0400, Ryan Anderson wrote:
>"Make Money Fast" are killed because they're illegal scams in the US and I
>think in most of the world.

They're illegal in the US primarily because the Post Office is confused
about whether its job is to deliver the mail or to censor it,
and delivery of MMFs by mail is policed by Postal Inspectors just as
delivery of obscenity by mail is.  It's a side effect of having services
provided by a government monopoly rather than the free market,
though I'm sure that to some extent it's because people started
complaining to the Post Office that they were receiving junk mail,
and complaining to their legislators that they lost money on these scams.

On the Internet, on the other hand, not only is the stuff spam and a scam,
but it's abusing flat-rate prices for service, and service providers
don't like it.  Julf's remailer used to block MMFs.

Pyramid scams like the MMF, and the government's inability to deal with it,
brought down the Albanian government recently.  Here in the US that would
_never_ happen (:-), assuming of course you don't consider Social Security
to be a Ponzi scheme....

#			Thanks;  Bill
# Bill Stewart, +1-415-442-2215 stewarts@ix.netcom.com
#   (If this is a mailing list or news, please Cc: me on replies.  Thanks.)

Thread