1997-07-12 - Microsoft and Netscape to Provide McCain with Options?

Header Data

From: Tim May <tcmay@got.net>
To: cypherpunks@Algebra.COM
Message Hash: 85f168cac6bc752b7ca3e72be275e204a54168b809eeaacbdec8e7edee3e39e0
Message ID: <v03102800afec868f520e@[207.167.93.63]>
Reply To: <33C6CF32.6EB8@nwdtc.com>
UTC Datetime: 1997-07-12 01:09:22 UTC
Raw Date: Sat, 12 Jul 1997 09:09:22 +0800

Raw message

From: Tim May <tcmay@got.net>
Date: Sat, 12 Jul 1997 09:09:22 +0800
To: cypherpunks@Algebra.COM
Subject: Microsoft and Netscape to Provide McCain with Options?

(I changed the message name, as it appeared to be entirely too many lines! :-})

At 5:26 PM -0700 7/11/97, Alan Olsen wrote:

>McCain Open to Key Recovery Alternative
>
>by Rebecca Vesely

>McCain said he met with Microsoft representatives recently to discuss
>a new technology being developed by the software giant that could be
>less intrusive and problematic than key recovery. The senator also said
>he plans to meet with Netscape officials next week to discuss yet
>another alternative.

This is something we should watch _very_ closely!

I cannot imagine any solution acceptable to statists like McCain, Kerrey,
Swinestein, Clinton, Freeh, and all the others that would even remotely be
acceptable to anyone who cherishes liberty.

The extreme danger is that the McCain-Kerrey bill was just so plain
terrible that it is being used as a bargaining chip to get a "compromise."
And that compromise could be fed by helpful, hopeful corporate spinmeisters.

The danger is that the work MS was doing a few years ago on key recovery
could be made part of the basis of the "new industry compromise." I had
hoped this had died when Chairman Gates came out so strongly against key
escrow and GAK in his book.

(The recent discussion of "collective contracts," where an
industry-government deal binds us all, is timely.)

>Just two days ago, at a Senate Judiciary Committee hearing on the bill,
>FBI director Louis Freeh testified on the need for mandatory domestic
>key recovery, and some senators on the committee, notably the
>chairman, Orrin Hatch (R-Utah), seemed to agree that some sort of
>domestic key recovery is needed to allow law enforcement to wiretap
>suspect digital communications and transactions.

The ground is shifting rapidly from "we need a law to recapitulate
Americans' right to strong crypto" (Pro-CODE) to "we need key recovery in
exported products and when government networks are involved"
(McCain-Kerrey) to "some sort of domestic key recovery is needed"
(Freeh-Hatch-Pol Pot).

Let them all hang.

--Tim May