1997-07-26 - Re: Jim Bell Docket 3

Header Data

From: Martin Minow <minow@apple.com>
To: “Lynne L. Harrison” <cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Message Hash: f97c1aacf82bdbee7493a5cd70611c024fdb953b8dcaa9917c229bafde11a320
Message ID: <v03102802afff3d83ee3c@[17.128.203.92]>
Reply To: <Pine.SUN.3.96.970724140511.29712R-100000@beast.brainlink.com>
UTC Datetime: 1997-07-26 05:53:12 UTC
Raw Date: Sat, 26 Jul 1997 13:53:12 +0800

Raw message

From: Martin Minow <minow@apple.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 1997 13:53:12 +0800
To: "Lynne L. Harrison" <cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Subject: Re: Jim Bell Docket 3

>>On Thu, 24 Jul 1997, Lynne L. Harrison wrote:
>
>I question, however, if is proper/appropriate for a governmental entity to
>retrieve email addresses off of a computer involved in a criminal matter
>and use those addresses to send the type of message that was sent to a
>selected few?  Unfortunately, I have no answer to this query.
>
>Do any other individuals have any thoughts concerning this issue?

(Since I am not a lawyer, I can pontificate without fear of reprisal.)
Since the message was a "press release" one could, with a reasonably
straight face, claim that it is covered by "freedom of the press."
Extracting addresses from a database would not be permitted, as
near as I can tell, by the Swedish Data Privacy Law. There is an
interesting article, in Swedish, in today's Svenska Dagbladet
<http://www.svd.se/> that suggests that *any* computer-generated
message (including ordinary word-processing letters) may violate
the data privacy law (but this might be a mis-reading of an
article I only skimmed, but didn't read carefully). Misusing
data on a computer file would be improper, irregardless of whether
the computer was involved in a criminal matter. Copyright violation,
if nothing else, even if it might be "fair use."

Martin Minow
minow@apple.com

Thread