1997-08-06 - Re: Eternity Uncensorable?

Header Data

From: Alan <alan@ctrl-alt-del.com>
To: Adam Back <aba@dcs.ex.ac.uk>
Message Hash: 5d281959563ce4b7da80c77965c760ba1e994f24cdc575c732ee4c18698ee3fd
Message ID: <Pine.LNX.3.95.970806104749.6869A-100000@www.ctrl-alt-del.com>
Reply To: <199708061632.RAA03261@server.test.net>
UTC Datetime: 1997-08-06 18:21:51 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 7 Aug 1997 02:21:51 +0800

Raw message

From: Alan <alan@ctrl-alt-del.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 1997 02:21:51 +0800
To: Adam Back <aba@dcs.ex.ac.uk>
Subject: Re: Eternity Uncensorable?

On Wed, 6 Aug 1997, Adam Back wrote:

> Mark Grant <mark@unicorn.com> writes:
> > On Wed, 6 Aug 1997, Adam Back wrote:
> > > To do it properly, you'll need a local eternity server if you want to
> > > good security of encrypted documents.
> >
> > I'd assume that in the end this is what most people would do; get a Usenet
> > feed and run a server locally so that noone knows which URLs you're
> > accessing.
>
> Indeed.
>
> Similar perhaps to web based remailer interfaces, you can turn on SSL,
> but you're still trusting the server, relying on no hackers being able
> to crack it, and relying on your estimate of the authenticity of it's
> certificate
>
> If there got to be a _lot_ of eternity documents this might get
> impractical.  You wouldn't have the disk space for them all.

This is where I see a problem with eternity servers.

If I were going to attack such a system, I would just start to have the
eternity servers store my core files or some other junk.  (Or maybe feed
it the SIMTEL or funet.fi archives.) Enough crap so that you could not
have enough space to store the real important stuff...

And then, if anyone did delete it out of the Eternity server(s), I would
yell "censorship" to the freedom knights and/or their fellow travelers...

alan@ctrl-alt-del.com | Note to AOL users: for a quick shortcut to reply
Alan Olsen            | to my mail, just hit the ctrl, alt and del keys.

Thread