1997-09-03 - Re: Things we should be working on…

Header Data

From: Bill Stewart <stewarts@ix.netcom.com>
To: Tim May <tcmay@got.net>
Message Hash: 1efa0fe83828131fecab69a2bfc1b80878dcbb65013f3f6b0c9131d2a30fee75
Message ID: <3.0.2.32.19970903001204.0305f980@popd.ix.netcom.com>
Reply To: <5uhpc1$vf2$1@abraham.cs.berkeley.edu>
UTC Datetime: 1997-09-03 07:28:48 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 3 Sep 1997 15:28:48 +0800

Raw message

From: Bill Stewart <stewarts@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 1997 15:28:48 +0800
To: Tim May <tcmay@got.net>
Subject: Re: Things we should be working on...

At 12:56 PM 9/2/97 -0700, Tim May wrote:
>My understanding was that you had to do most of your work in Canada because
>of U.S. restrictions on those with student visas?
>Certainly you are just as much in violations of the EARS by going to Canada
>to do your crypto work as Rivest and Company would be in by crossing into
>Canada to develop stuff for RSADSI.
>Am I missing something here?

Yeah, you're missing that Ian's a Canadian, not subject to US laws when
he's not in US territory, unlike Rivest (but not unlike Shamir.)
Taking working papers with him might be an export problem, but
taking ideas in his head isn't, and when he's at home, he can work,
subject to Canadian limits on writing, publishing, and internetting crypto.
If he wants to sell products based on his crypto work,
there may be student visa issues involved, but there's a Canadian corporation
that can take care of some of those problems for him.

#			Thanks;  Bill
# Bill Stewart, +1-415-442-2215 stewarts@ix.netcom.com
#   (If this is a mailing list or news, please Cc: me on replies.  Thanks.)

Thread