1997-09-23 - Re: The problem of playing politics with our constitutional rights

Header Data

From: Jonathan Wienke <JonWienk@ix.netcom.com>
To: cypherpunks@Algebra.COM
Message Hash: 4f775f1e35ebfd91d2709beb11d0b40910dcfe3ec0647e1f18e61d115275267f
Message ID: <3.0.3.32.19970922221458.00773a94@popd.netcruiser>
Reply To: <3429560f.30622794@128.2.84.191>
UTC Datetime: 1997-09-23 05:57:06 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 23 Sep 1997 13:57:06 +0800

Raw message

From: Jonathan Wienke <JonWienk@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 1997 13:57:06 +0800
To: cypherpunks@Algebra.COM
Subject: Re: The problem of playing politics with our constitutional   rights

--Boundary..3984.1071713733.multipart/signed

At 11:28 AM 9/22/97 GMT, phelix@vallnet.com wrote:
>remailers handle the increased load?  Are there enough remailers?
>People will not tolerate more than a 24 hour delay for getting their
>messages delivers.  What about spamming?
>
>Another Question:  Since such a plugin uses (has the hooks for) encryption,
>would it be covered by ITAR?  (i'm asking because I'm seriously considering
>making the eudora plugin)

The Eudora plugin should support remailer chaining and PGP encryption for
personal messages, as well as give the user the opportunity to BE a
remailing service.

>Anyway, the remailer 'network' needs to be strengthened.  Right now,
>Raph's pinging service (or whatever private idaho uses) is the only way
>private idaho can tell which servers are up.  Attack this point, and
>reliability when chaining remailers becomes uncertain.    Imagine a TLA
>co-opting this service and altering the list to favor government friendly
>remailers.
>
>It also needs to be easier to set up a remailer.  I'd like to see the
>software distributed in .deb and .rpm packages for Linux.  Once set up, the
>remailer could automatically announce itself to the world (perhaps via a
>newsgroup post).  The various listing services would pick up on this.  The
>more automated it is, the better.

How about posting availability notices alt.remailer-availability.announce
(create it if necessary) or alt.anonymous.messages?

>>I am sure that people can think of all sorts of other ideas for needed
>>apps.  But to make them usable for the "general public", the apps will be
>>needed to be written for Windows.  (As much as I hate to think about it...)
>
>Private idaho needs to be rewritten (in Java possibly) to be simpler to
>operate.  There should be one button to press to send a message without
>messing with what type and which remailers to use; the program could choose
>these things randomly (ok, it's not the best thing to do, but at least it's
>easy to use).  It also should be updated to use pgp 5.0 (not exclusively,
>of course).  If possible, also add support for the Eternity Service.

The remailer plugin should be able to:
1. Scan all available sources of remailer availability / reliability.
2. Allow the user to select a pool of trusted remailers.
3. Allow the user to select the number of remailers in the chain.
4. Randomly select remailers from the pool.
5. Encrypt / add headers to the outgoing message to match the selected
remailers.

>Stenography Plugin for mail/news readers.  It's our one (and possibly only)
>defense against GAK.  You can't decrypt what you can't see.  (watch for
>Stenography to be classified as encryption and be similarly restricted.)

Look for AOL and other ISP's to automatically run a "noise reduction"
filter (as in CoolEdit 96) on .wav / .jpg files if GAK becomes mandatory.
CoolEdit's noise reduction filter is great for removing tape hiss and other
constant background noise from sound files, (it can make a cheap tape deck
sound like a cheap CD player) but it would obviously destroy any stegoed
data. The noise reduction algorithm is very processor intensive--it takes
my 586/133 about an hour to NR a 3 minute stereo 44 KHz recording, but I'm
sure you could set up a "light" version of the filter that would destroy
stego data without taking as long.

Jonathan Wienke

What part of "the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be
infringed" is too hard to understand? (From 2nd Amendment, U.S. Constitution)

PGP 2.6.2 RSA Key Fingerprint: 7484 2FB7 7588 ACD1  3A8F 778A 7407 2928
DSS/D-H Key Fingerprint: 3312 6597 8258 9A9E D9FA  4878 C245 D245 EAA7 0DCC
Public keys available at pgpkeys.mit.edu. PGP encrypted e-mail preferred.

Get your assault crypto before they ban it!

US/Canadian Windows 95/NT or Mac users:
Get Eudora Light + PGP 5.0 for free at http://www.eudora.com/eudoralight/
Get PGP 5.0 for free at http://bs.mit.edu:8001/pgp-form.html

Non-US PGP 5.0 sources:
http://www.ifi.uio.no/pgp/
http://www.heise.de/ct/pgpCA/download.shtml
ftp://ftp.pca.dfn.de/pub/pgp/V5.0/
ftp://ftp.fu-berlin.de/pub/pc/win95/pgp
ftp://ftp.fu-berlin.de/pub/mac/pgp
http://www.shopmiami.com/utopia.hacktic.nl/pub/replay/pub/pgp/pgp50/win/

RSA export-o-matic:

--Boundary..3984.1071713733.multipart/signed

LS0tLS1CRUdJTiBQR1AgU0lHTkFUVVJFLS0tLS0KVmVyc2lvbjogUEdQIGZv
ciBQZXJzb25hbCBQcml2YWN5IDUuMApNZXNzYWdlSUQ6IGNsc2lnTjNJS2Rq
RGhKc2xhNU5TZ0FhV1BhQXhxRXFpCgppUUEvQXdVQk5DZFZLY0pGMGtYcXB3
M01FUUkrMHdDZlJOVjcyZDExOEdqb0ZHUUVBRUZVdE5NV0pDc0FvT0hFCkQ4
OE02VmZ6RWhmdk5rTUtDS0tNNjIrbQo9byszbwotLS0tLUVORCBQR1AgU0lH
TkFUVVJFLS0tLS0K
--Boundary..3984.1071713733.multipart/signed--

Thread