1997-09-22 - Re: The politics of problem playing with our constitutional rights

Header Data

From: gturk@concentric.net
To: phelix@vallnet.com
Message Hash: 9654b39240fd5039bb89a6445f61f7a46282d38a17e626d9521c72c530658546
Message ID: <3.0.3.32.19970922164300.0091ca10@pop3.concentric.net>
Reply To: <3429560f.30622794@128.2.84.191>
UTC Datetime: 1997-09-22 20:53:03 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 23 Sep 1997 04:53:03 +0800

Raw message

From: gturk@concentric.net
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 1997 04:53:03 +0800
To: phelix@vallnet.com
Subject: Re: The politics of problem playing with our constitutional rights

At 11:28 AM 9/22/97 GMT, phelix@vallnet.com wrote:

>On 22 Sep 1997 02:32:12 -0500, Alan <alan@ctrl-alt-del.com> wrote:

>>Mail is another hole.  Eudora now distributes PGP 5.0 with the latest
>>version.  (This version does not do RSA keys. You can get the plug in to do
>>those keys from PGP inc.)  This is helpful, but there are many other
>>plug-ins that need to be written.  Support for remailers is lacking.
>>Windows based code for Mixmaster is also a needed thing.  A good interface
>>would help immensely.  (Private Idaho was a big step in the right
>>direction. Integrated with a remailer people already use would be another
>>big step forward.)

>Agreed.  I think Remailer support could be a big opportunity.  People may
>not understand/care-about encryption, digital signing, etc., but they
>definitely understand the need for anonymity.

Give the people what they want.

>Question:  If a free remailer plugin for eudora is released, can the
>remailers handle the increased load?  Are there enough remailers?
>People will not tolerate more than a 24 hour delay for getting their
>messages delivers.  What about spamming?

Use hashcash, or even better, digital cash of your chosen currency.

It costs 32 cents to mail a first class letter.  Is it worth paying that to
send an anonymous email through a chain of a dozen remailers using a Eudora
plug-in, or a java applet?  For some people it is, if it's made easy to do.

If a thousand people used it each day, that would mean $320 every 24 hours,
or $116,800 a year to be divided up amongst the 12 remailer operators.
Similar possibilities exist for remailer pinging services and nymservers.

>>I am sure that people can think of all sorts of other ideas for needed
>>apps.  But to make them usable for the "general public", the apps will be
>>needed to be written for Windows.  (As much as I hate to think about it...)

Why not rewrite Windows?  Call it Secured Windows (or S/Win).  Features
might include:
	- no swapfile, or at least one that is securely deleted each
	  time the system is shut down
	- automatically overwrite __ times when deleting information
	  from the hard drive
	- digital cash wallet app
	- S/WAN or SSH-type access to ISP
	- library of different encryption apps, including an easy way
	  to quickly encrypt all sensitive files

Initially S/Win would be useful for emerging ecommerce businesses, and also
companies and individuals handling sensitive data (i.e., accountants,
lawyers, etc.).  As ecommerce begins to evolve, people doing high-value
transactions (like buying stocks and other financial instruments) will want
to know they aren't getting bogus stock ticker prices (a la IP-spoofing) so
they don't unintentionally "sell the farm" at the wrong moment.

Maybe it's a crazy idea to rewrite Windows, but seeing as so many people are
familiar with it already, why not make it more useful/better/secure?

When the majority of computer owners realize that their emoney transactions
can be compromised on an unsecure platform like Windows, they will demand a
"product" like S/Win.  After all, what good is your personal Verisign
certificate (a public key) -- not to mention SET -- if the corresponding
signing/authentication (secret) key can be swiped off your computer by a
malicious Active X control along with the keystroke sequence of your
passphrase?

-g

"It sucks being a control freak during an information revolution."

Thread